oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil question

ok I've been using 5w-30 since I got the car last year cause thats what it says to use, when my oil filter gasket blew a couple of months ago the shop changed the oil and put 10w-30 in I changed the oil last month and put 5w-30 back in, ok here where it gets wierd when I changed the oil it took about 4.6 litres of oil till it was at the full mark, the engine should only take 3.8 litres with filter. anyways now I have to add oil like every 2-3 weeks before I went like 2 months before needing to ad any. I bought 10 litres of 10w-30
    and I bought 5 litres of highmilage 5w-30, I live in a climate that gets to -40c in the winter and +40 in the summer so, my question is will swithing to 10w-30 in the summer and using 5w-30 in the winter be ok, or should I stick to one kind all year, 10w-30 cant be used under -10 right?

My Members Ride Page

you should be ok switching between the two. that's what i've always done. but if your going to stick with one kind then go with the 10w-30 because it's a little bit thicker and there's less of a chance of it seeping through seals and blowing them.

Comment

but I cant use 10w-30 all year can I? the manual says 10w-30 is only good down to -10 c it gets down to like -40c here

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80
        but I cant use 10w-30 all year can I? the manual says 10w-30 is only good down to -10 c it gets down to like -40c here
        lol....-40 when in hell did it ever do that?...maybe with the windchill....but that doesn't affect cars.

Anyways, yeah, 10W in summer and 5W in winter is fine.
        2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
        1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

lol oh yea I guess your right, the ambient temperature is like what -20?

My Members Ride Page

Comment

lol oh yea I guess your right, the ambient temperature is like what -20?
            Not today...hot enough to burn the clothes off the girls at Bluesfest!
            2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
            Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
            1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

lol I ment in the winter , umm how come the car took like 4.6 litres of oil after an oil change, when it should only take 3.8 it didnt leak anywar ehow the hell did that happen?
              Last edited by Stealthman80; 07-08-2006, 03:34 PM.

My Members Ride Page

Comment

lol I ment in the winter , umm how come the car took like 4.6 litres of oil after an oil change, when it should only take 3.8 it didnt leak anywar ehow the hell did that happen?
                Have you accounted for the amount the oil filter might have used ?

A Hui Hou !!!
                Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

yeah so get this I changed the oil last night with the 10w-30 and I only put 3.8 in and it took about half an hour before it showed full but thats all it took, I have no idea what happend last time

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Working...
                  X