Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignition timing, cams, and my damn unmarked flywheel.... Gah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition timing, cams, and my damn unmarked flywheel.... Gah!

Ok, I want some cams... However, the cams are set on the dizzy... the dizzy is marked according to the current setup, so my timing is dead on.

However, if I remove the cams and the dizzy, I'm quite sure that mark won't be dead on anymore.

My flywheel has NO markings on it. When cp[mike] and I installed my clutch and flywheel, we were tired and rushing by the time we put things together... we didn't notice the lack of timing marks until it was too late.

Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping my timing at 15? Is there a way to replace the cams without throwing off the timing according to the dizzy (which is marked... at least we had the foresight to do that much... thanks Justin!) Is there a reliable way to mark the flywheel? Is there a way to properly set ignition timing other than matching it up to the flywheel?

A word to the wise... if you get an XTD flywheel, carefully match it up to the stock one before you remove it, and add those timing marks!

There should be markings on the Crank Pulley isnt there? I need to go take a good look at mine again.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Yeah, there are markings, but that won't help me with ignition timing unless I have something to match it up with... I don't think, anyway.

Of course, I have an aftermarket pulley too!

Comment

Align the marks on the cam pulleys, mark flywheel for TDC, then use a "setback" style timing light, or figure out how far 15 degrees is, and mark it.
        2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
        1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
          Align the marks on the cam pulleys, mark flywheel for TDC, then use a "setback" style timing light, or figure out how far 15 degrees is, and mark it.
          Yeah, that's the best I could come up with as well... Basically, mark the wheel at TDC, and use a digital timing light to show the TDC mark at "+15"... which should be dead on? Or something like that... I'm confusing myself trying to put it in words, but I understand the concept

Comment

Set number one at TDC. Get a timing light and retard the timing 15 degrees. Should be set then. Get one that can adjust it for you Snap on is da shizz and they arent that expensive. I plan to pick one up soon.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

All you have to do is make amark on the dizzy and on the head where the dizzy meet. Dizzy only goes on one way. You might have to adjust it anyways when you get the new cams, maybe you will need to run some what more retarded than you already are.. :P then you are still fucked... digital timing light dude just like nail said.l
              H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I'll have to see one of the digital lights to understand... As far as I've seen, all they do is change when the light goes off, so you can line up the timing marks for settings other than 15 degrees (which is good for 18+ or 13-) If there is a light or some other tool that doesn't use the flywheel, that's exactly what I need!

I already have the dizzy marked... did that when I put that accursed flywheel in (thankfully... not sure if it was me, doctorcipher, or cpmike that thought of it... but one of us did!) It's great as long as the cam and rotor are aligned perfectly as they are now... Taking the dizzy off and putting it back on is fine... but removing the cam may change things too much. Maybe there's a way to mark the position of the cam perfectly when changing it out?

Comment

Bringing this back... just to make sure (I assumed before... and that's never good)

If I have the distributor marked, and I remove the camshafts... will that marking on the distributor still be right when I put new cams in?

Comment

If you do end up scratching the marks into your flywheel, I just used a small pick/awl to do the job (XTD).
                    I would assume the opposite of what you are and believe the aftermarket cams' slot to be in the same position as stock, but I'm no pro.

It would seem weird to me if they could make cams that are exact to thousandths of an inch, but couldn't put the dizzy slot at the same angle as the stock one. They would have to put it within adjustability range of the distributor anyway just to make it work at all (?).

I guess I need to know this too,
                    my Skunk2 Stage2 H22 valvetrain should be on it's way2!
                    Does anyone know if I got a good deal?:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

(sorry O.T.)

Keep us posted!

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                    After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                    Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                    PM me and get it done right!

Comment

well there should be a keyway on the new cam so you can put the gear on and align it. Then that should set you up right to tighten everything and put back in the dizzy.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        Bringing this back... just to make sure (I assumed before... and that's never good)

If I have the distributor marked, and I remove the camshafts... will that marking on the distributor still be right when I put new cams in?
                        Yes. The distributor is actually in sync/aligned with the camshaft, so as long as your camshaft is installed correctly(same timing as before), the distributor should be fine.
                        -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
                        1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

Working...
                        X