Synthetic or regular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic or regular

I tried looking around for an anwser but didn't really find a complete anwser. I was just wondering for my next oil change if I should switch over to synthetic or stick with regular. I used mobil 1 5W-30 w/ an oem Honda filter.I've heard bad things about synthetic motor oil and was just wondering what everybodies position on it is and if I should use it or not. BTW, this is all for my JDM H22, this will be my second oil chage since getting me swap complete if that helps any also.

It depends, but overall Synthetic oil is better than regular dino oil. Im sure there are plenty of threads on this...

Synthetic oil is man made, it can withstand high temp, so lubrication when working your H22 or spirited Vtec driving is highly aided

IMO, it's up to you.

Synthetic oil or regular oil. Price wise it's about a good $2-3 difference.
    Performance wise, synthetic is better...

Oh, stay away from Mobil 1 synthetic, that stuff burns a lot. You think im lying? research it. Mobil 1 oil filters on the other hand are top of the line next to K&N.

Here is a link that further explains...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
    1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Don't forget about Wix oil filters. They are near or better quality then Mobil 1 oil filters, but harder to find at a retail store.

Comment

I switched to synthetic in my car and had no problems. Car gave me no grievances and produced no leaks (that weren't already there).

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
        where you been, is something wrong?
        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

[QUOTE=Accord13&BA4]It depends, but overall Synthetic oil is better than regular dino oil. Im sure there are plenty of threads on this...

Synthetic oil is man made, it can withstand high temp, so lubrication when working your H22 or spirited Vtec driving is highly aided

IMO, it's up to you.

Synthetic oil or regular oil. Price wise it's about a good $2-3 difference.
          Performance wise, synthetic is better...

Oh, stay away from Mobil 1 synthetic, that stuff burns a lot. You think im lying? research it. Mobil 1 oil filters on the other hand are top of the line next to K&N.

Here is a link that further explains...
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

I've been using regular mobil one ever since I could remeber without any problems. What would make such a uge difference to make synthetic mobil one burn? I just wanna know because i'd like to stay with mobil 1 but if its that hazardous I will defintely stay away from it. Thanks for any help in advance.

Comment

bobistheoilguy.com If you want to learn about oil. I used reg for my first two oil changes so I could wash my motor out then went synthetic after that. I use Royal Purple 10w30 and it works fine.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

just remember, if u have any oil leaks using regular, when switching to synthetic, the leaks will be worse since synthetic oil is thinner and can squeeze through the little cracks and crevases. just word of warning. but it is better and does outperform regular oil. and if u think about it, the extra what $2-3/quart or $12 total is nothing. def worth the extra 10-12 bucks. if u r switching to regular, get any oil leaks fixed first. and Royal purple is da bomb when it comes to synthetic oil.
              My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                just remember, if u have any oil leaks using regular, when switching to synthetic, the leaks will be worse since synthetic oil is thinner and can squeeze through the little cracks and crevases. just word of warning. but it is better and does outperform regular oil. and if u think about it, the extra what $2-3/quart or $12 total is nothing. def worth the extra 10-12 bucks. if u r switching to regular, get any oil leaks fixed first. and Royal purple is da bomb when it comes to synthetic oil.
                WRONG

Synthetic oil does not "squeeze through cracks because it is thinner". Do you even know anything about oil? This could only be true if you switched from 20W50 dino oil to 5W20 synthetic! The truth is dino oil does not do as nearly good a job as synthetic oil at keeping oil seals from dry-rot. At the same time, dino oil breaks down and leaves deposits in these cracks. When you add synthetic oil to an old engine, it will actually dissolve and clean off these deposits over time, causing the leak or making the existing leak worse. Take 2 engines... one that has used dino oil for 120k miles, and the other using synthetic since the break-in period has completed, and see which one looks like clean metal with a little oil on it and which one looks like it has shit all over it.

Next time please know your shit before feeding fuckin' crap to people and making them believe retarded things about oil.

cha-ching

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                  WRONG

Synthetic oil does not "squeeze through cracks because it is thinner". Do you even know anything about oil? This could only be true if you switched from 20W50 dino oil to 5W20 synthetic! The truth is dino oil does not do as nearly good a job as synthetic oil at keeping oil seals from dry-rot. At the same time, dino oil breaks down and leaves deposits in these cracks. When you add synthetic oil to an old engine, it will actually dissolve and clean off these deposits over time, causing the leak or making the existing leak worse. Take 2 engines... one that has used dino oil for 120k miles, and the other using synthetic since the break-in period has completed, and see which one looks like clean metal with a little oil on it and which one looks like it has shit all over it.

Next time please know your shit before feeding fuckin' crap to people and making them believe retarded things about oil.

cha-ching
                  This guy cracks me up... well done.
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

WRONG

cha-ching
                    I'm below 100k on my f22a. My car though has 144k. I do have a leaking cam seal and now a vcg too. I'll replace em this weekend. I wanna upgrade to synthetic. Can I do it this late in the game without problems? Do I need to gumout engine flush my engine b4 the switch? What would you do?

Comment

WRONG

cha-ching
                      I was waiting for this.

Comment

Originally posted by oozingmachismo2
                        I'm below 100k on my f22a. My car though has 144k. I do have a leaking cam seal and now a vcg too. I'll replace em this weekend. I wanna upgrade to synthetic. Can I do it this late in the game without problems? Do I need to gumout engine flush my engine b4 the switch? What would you do?
                        What I would do is replace those seals, check any other seals for evidence of leakage and replace if needed, and then use 10W30 or 10W40 synthetic depending on climate/season. Under 100k should still be fine. I wouldn't expect a leak to happen right away but if another one does develop, it means that seal could have used replacing anyway. Wouldn't be a disaster, just fix it.

Comment

my motor has 43,xxx miles on it (thats what the company that sold it to me told me) and it doens't have any leaks that I can find. I'll probably be switching over to synthetic next time I change my oil. The only real benefit I see is that my internals will last longer any other ones you guys can on? Any brands anybody got in mind? I'm considering mobil 1 since thier regular oil did good for my 211,xxx F22 and no problems with it so far on the H.

Comment

obviously some concieted knowall people need to read more carefully. of course the synthetic cleans out the existing deposits. i thought this was "common sense" to some. cleaning existing deposits opens up cracks and crevases. therefore creating an even worse leak...but it is also bc snyhtetic oil is thinner. therefore not only do u have the deposits removed but u also have a oil that is more easily able to leak out through old gaskets and such. therefore my dumbing down of the situation in my previous post is correct. is it my turn to say cha-ching.....?
                            My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                              obviously some concieted knowall people need to read more carefully. of course the synthetic cleans out the existing deposits. i thought this was "common sense" to some. cleaning existing deposits opens up cracks and crevases. therefore creating an even worse leak...but it is also bc snyhtetic oil is thinner. therefore not only do u have the deposits removed but u also have a oil that is more easily able to leak out through old gaskets and such. therefore my dumbing down of the situation in my previous post is correct. is it my turn to say cha-ching.....?
                              NO, it is not your turn to say cha-ching, it is never anyone elses turn to say that. I am about to say it to you again because you're retarded for trying to say that synthetic oil is thinner. How exactly do you fucking explain that?? Viscosity is viscosity and that's it. Sure, synthetic oil has a lower pour point, but the SAE weight is what it is. Also, nice try repeating what I just said about synthetic oil... if you knew it, you would have said it the first time. You're just like all the other kids that try not to look stupid after they've already been owned.

cha-ching for repeated dumbassery

Comment

Working...
                              X