Synthetic or regular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
    I can't just sit here and let you say this. That is definitely untrue. I have torn down countless engines of all makers and I can most definitely vouch for the fact that a long use of dino oil leaves an engine looking much worse than if it had run synthetic oil long-term.

Also a painfully false statement.

Hooray for you.

I have disected and examined countless engines also. With no additional wear associated with dino oil.

Do you honestly believe you are the only one here that ever works on anything?
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

O.o wow k ... Ok you two both claim to have torn down engines and have different results... is it possible that you are in such different climates so that buildup from smog/gas additive/ stuff in the air could change the outcome? *just thinking here* Like I know they add crap here in the city area cause every car we have driven on trips once filled outside the city area runs different.... And as far as tearing down engines, were they used hard? normally? mixed? As in would higher reving have less build up?

As for my two cents worth, if anyone reads the posts they can generally get their answers to what oil does what and why. I personally run both synthetic and non, changing out every other change which I use. Synthetic does seem to make the engine run smoother. As far as build up I havent torn anything down. Never smoked, started using synthetic at about 95k or so, still doesn't smoke. I drive hard pretty just about every day too.
      My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
        Hooray for you.

I have disected and examined countless engines also. With no additional wear associated with dino oil.

Do you honestly believe you are the only one here that ever works on anything?
        Now now, don't get all pissed off and bent out of shape just because you weren't right about something. Happens to all of us, I'm not perfect either. I don't doubt that the dino oil-using engines you have had apart looked fine to you, but the fact is synthetic oil has clearly superior wear resistance and does not create deposits like dino oil does. If you don't believe it, open another browser and keep reading. End of story!

Also, nowhere did I ever say that I was the only one that works on shit. Go get a drink and cool off.

Comment

Damn so much hostility on here lately!!

Comment

yea u get used to it. do u know how many threads start off with a simple question and bashing and hostility break out? lol....i get a kick outta it. just sit back and let the "know-it-alls make fools of themselves.
            My members ride thread

Comment

Now now, don't get all pissed off and bent out of shape just because you weren't right about something. Happens to all of us, I'm not perfect either. I don't doubt that the dino oil-using engines you have had apart looked fine to you, but the fact is synthetic oil has clearly superior wear resistance and does not create deposits like dino oil does. If you don't believe it, open another browser and keep reading. End of story!

Also, nowhere did I ever say that I was the only one that works on shit. Go get a drink and cool off.

Really? What evidence do you have that makes this so. Based on oil analysis samples, that is false.

Sorry, but they are far more accurate than your eyeball.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinspeeds
                O.o wow k ... Ok you two both claim to have torn down engines and have different results... is it possible that you are in such different climates so that buildup from smog/gas additive/ stuff in the air could change the outcome? *just thinking here* Like I know they add crap here in the city area cause every car we have driven on trips once filled outside the city area runs different.... And as far as tearing down engines, were they used hard? normally? mixed? As in would higher reving have less build up?

As for my two cents worth, if anyone reads the posts they can generally get their answers to what oil does what and why. I personally run both synthetic and non, changing out every other change which I use. Synthetic does seem to make the engine run smoother. As far as build up I havent torn anything down. Never smoked, started using synthetic at about 95k or so, still doesn't smoke. I drive hard pretty just about every day too.
                Most of the engines I have dealt with run in the desert where the average temp in the summer is between 100 and 130 degrees F.

The only engines I have ever seen with severe wear damage related to mineral oil were ones that went WAAY over the change interval.
                Last edited by owequitit; 06-22-2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

There is no need for me to get a drink.

You talk down as though you are the only one with knowledge.

Is is possible that you missed something? I have never read anything that said synthetic didn't last longer.

My sole point through both of these threads is that mineral oil will do the same job just as well as long as you change it regularly.

Sorry, that is just the way it is.

Comment

My sole point through both of these threads is that mineral oil will do the same job just as well as long as you change it regularly.
                    There is just no way I can agree with that given what I know about synthetic oil. When I have time, I'll dig the proof back up and show it to you. I seldom have time to get on this forum for more than a few minutes at a time so it will be a while... but I'll get to it.

Comment

There is just no way I can agree with that given what I know about synthetic oil. When I have time, I'll dig the proof back up and show it to you. I seldom have time to get on this forum for more than a few minutes at a time so it will be a while... but I'll get to it.

I look forward to it.

Comment

owequitit...you in the military huh? Desert/oil samples...i didnt know till the last time i was at an FTX that the military takes samples of the oil at the oil change times and tests it to see if there are improvements they can make and wear and tear from this and that...pretty cool..i have no background with oil but i run 10w30 for the high mileage and weather and my car runs smooth...does smoke a lil every now and then but i think thats because i need to pull of my valve cover and replace every single gasket and grommet and all but when i look down into the vavle cover thru the oil cap its pretty clean for its age...no foam or grime..just clear even coat of oil so im happy.

And on a side note i used honda oem oil for the longest, from 140k till about 155k and honda oem filters but ive recently had to buy my own and i think its castrol high mileage ive been using and K&N performance filter...havent noticed any difference really but i change oil and filter every 3k miles on the dot. My 2cents i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
                          owequitit...you in the military huh? Desert/oil samples...i didnt know till the last time i was at an FTX that the military takes samples of the oil at the oil change times and tests it to see if there are improvements they can make and wear and tear from this and that...pretty cool..i have no background with oil but i run 10w30 for the high mileage and weather and my car runs smooth...does smoke a lil every now and then but i think thats because i need to pull of my valve cover and replace every single gasket and grommet and all but when i look down into the vavle cover thru the oil cap its pretty clean for its age...no foam or grime..just clear even coat of oil so im happy.

And on a side note i used honda oem oil for the longest, from 140k till about 155k and honda oem filters but ive recently had to buy my own and i think its castrol high mileage ive been using and K&N performance filter...havent noticed any difference really but i change oil and filter every 3k miles on the dot. My 2cents i guess.
                          I am not in the military...

Yes that's right, I live in the hottest place on Earth voluntarily...

I am surrounded by aviation though, and a lot of people test their oil as part of the routine maintenance. It is easier to increase the cost of an oil change by $50 than to have the engine poop out and lose the airplane, or your life.

These tests usually indicate what I have said.

Again, I am by no means bagging the use of synthetics, but with a 3000K oil change interval, I don't think there is a real advantage.

Just my .02

Comment

I dont know but what the fuck are you doing in (Iraq i presume) voluntarily? If your a contract worker or GS then nm cuz you are fucking banking. Well i dont know about the whole oil thing but my dads been a mechanic since he was my age and he's never steered me wrong and hes been sent to a Honda school in ATL Ga for his job so i tend to just listen to him. I wish he had a taste for this aftermarket stuff so we could wrench some shit together but it frustrates him cuz he is old skool which i understand so when im home i usually just go to work with him and chill out and shit. I wanna start using RP tho cuz peeps be swearing by that but its pricey but u do get what u pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
                              I dont know but what the fuck are you doing in (Iraq i presume) voluntarily? If your a contract worker or GS then nm cuz you are fucking banking. Well i dont know about the whole oil thing but my dads been a mechanic since he was my age and he's never steered me wrong and hes been sent to a Honda school in ATL Ga for his job so i tend to just listen to him. I wish he had a taste for this aftermarket stuff so we could wrench some shit together but it frustrates him cuz he is old skool which i understand so when im home i usually just go to work with him and chill out and shit. I wanna start using RP tho cuz peeps be swearing by that but its pricey but u do get what u pay for.

I am in Arizona...

Comment

I am in Arizona...
                                bwuahaha!

i used regular oil on my h22 when i first got it to break it in(cause im sure it sat for a long while) then i switched over to synthetic, And all i can say is WOW! you can tell its alot smoother and has less friction..
                                H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Working...
                                X