Head unit loosing power and dimming lights and clicking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head unit loosing power and dimming lights and clicking noise

Ok guys, i hope maybe you can help me out here. Its been doing this recently and was wondering if you guys got any tips. My head unit in my car is shutting off and turning back on every so often, usually when i press in the break (even very lightly) after coasting or when i hit a bump. Also my lights arent turning off but they are blinking to the point of getting very dim. It seems like its been doing this, atleast my radio, since i bumped someone head on. Before recently on my radio, the lights would just turn off on the unit or the volume wouldnt work or the volume wouldnt work unless i fliped the face down and back up again (its a Sony, POS). I hate Sony's. Well anyways you guys have any ideas?

Also, I've been hearing a king of clicking noise when im turning my wheels very sharply at very slow speeds. Is this my CV boot or something.

thanks guys in advance

i had the same problem i dont know whats wrong either thats why i ditched the radio i dont listen to it anyway i prefer motor noise

Comment

well now it hardly started up and when i turned the lights on it almost went dead, i made it home from school but i think it might be the alternator cause the battery is not even a year old, what do you guys think? would this have to be the alternator?

Comment

It probably is your alternator because same thing happened on my nissan, I had a new battery put in and It would start up ok but as I kept going dash lights were dim as hell and as soon as I stoped at a stop sign It completly died! I don't know If the accords have this but my nissan was trying to tell me It was my alternator because my brake light would be on along with battery light even though my e-brake was off and the resivor was full!
        Originally posted by rickyduckworth
        i'll do *** things for the OEM trunk lip spoiler

Comment

you should take your battery to autozone and get them to test it just in case.... if it comes back good then it's probably your alternator. If it is your alt then your car would probably die with the head lights on and engine runnin'

and the clicking noise is either your cv boot or cv joint. i'd recommend just rebuilding the cv joint or get a new one
          I don't lie, I bullshit

Comment

thanks guys, yeah i bet the dimming lights and power problem is the alternator.

as for the cv joint/boot, how do i know for sure which side it is and if it is the joint or the boot? theres a re-manufactured cv joint and boot on ebay for $35.00. is that a good deal?

Comment

Do you have alot of audio equipment? That stuff puts alot of stress on a stock alternator especially if it's old or never been rebuilt. To find out what amp alternator you should have, add up the numbers on the fuses on your amps and headunit. Add that number to the amps of your alternator(80amp), thats what amp alternator you should "technicly" have. Though not absoulutly nessacary it will "stiffin" your sound and you will have enough power for the rest of the car. Your problem may just be the brushes behind the rear cover of the alternator, buy a Haynes Repair Manual for your car($15) it will tell you all about replacing them.
              Last edited by Kdub; 03-26-2004, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Do what i did to my boys car start the car up. After it starts take the negative side of the batter off . If the car bogs down and cuts off then its your altenator.

Comment

$35 dollors is a good deal for a remanufactured cv joint, i have the hook-up down here on that stuff (or at least i thought so) and i have to pay $40 for each. There is some problems with stuff from e-bya tho' just be sure to read ALL the print and make sure it's what you want\need. btw if it pops and clicks when you turn to the left the it's the left side and vice versa if you fix one you might as well do 'em both, unless money is an issue than it would be ok to wait a lil longer
                  I don't lie, I bullshit

Comment

Working...
                  X