I think my IABs are always open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my IABs are always open

I took my TB off this weekend to do my rear motor mount and just out of curiousity I looked in to check my IABs out...are they supposed to be open when the car is off??? And how do I check to see if their open from the outside?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Yea since there is no vacuum generated it stays open.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Mine on my H22 are like that, didn't affect power on the dyno. I wouldn't worry about it.
      members/ride | the/website
      180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

They should stay shut for a little while after you turn the car off. Once the car is off though, the vacuum in the IAB system isn't a perfect sealed one, so they will open after a period of time.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

try opening it with your finger when the car is on, i couldnt do it :o
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Yes they are open without vacuum. Car off equals no vacuum.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
            where you been, is something wrong?
            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
              They should stay shut for a little while after you turn the car off. Once the car is off though, the vacuum in the IAB system isn't a perfect sealed one, so they will open after a period of time.
              :clicks car off:

....ssssssssPSSHHHHH *pop*

i dont have IAB

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                :clicks car off:

....ssssssssPSSHHHHH *pop*

i dont have IAB
                This is the exact same sound I hear when I turn the off the car. What exactly causes it?

Members Ride Thread

Comment

Yeah I have heard it too.
                  It's probably the pressure changing due to the engine being off.
                  Kind of like sealing up something, maybe?
                  Doesn't really matter though, it's supposed to do it.
                  If your car doesn't I wouldn't worry about it.
                  (RIP)1993 LX Sedan
                  Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
                  My (old) Ride

Comment

It is the air rushing through the idle passage. Since the TB is closed, the outside atmosphere flows in through the open idle passage. But since the volume of the IM is so large compared to the amount of air flowing through the passage, it takes a few seconds for the pressure to equalize and for air to stop flowing.

One of the noises that the stock intake masks I assume. I am not sure exactly how it does it, but it seems to be related to the rubber seals, and the fact that the passage is so long and convoluted, it is muffled long before you hear it.

This same thing is what causes the humming or sucking sound with an intake.
                    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

It is the air rushing through the idle passage. Since the TB is closed, the outside atmosphere flows in through the open idle passage. But since the volume of the IM is so large compared to the amount of air flowing through the passage, it takes a few seconds for the pressure to equalize and for air to stop flowing.

One of the noises that the stock intake masks I assume. I am not sure exactly how it does it, but it seems to be related to the rubber seals, and the fact that the passage is so long and convoluted, it is muffled long before you hear it.

Ahhhh so the throttle completely closes off at idle and there's a passage to keep the motor running? Interesting. Does this passage close off when the throttle is open? If not I could see how that would make the whistling sound associated with an intake at part open throttle. My car's whistle is loud...

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by palinix
                        This is the exact same sound I hear when I turn the off the car. What exactly causes it?
                        owequitit answered your question, but in my post i quoted something he said, so my post was in reference to what he said... the hissing the intake repressurizing, and the pop is the IAB plates snapping shut. you wont hear this on cars without IABs, youll hear just the hiss.

anyway yes, theres always a small passage open. ever wonder how the idle screw and fast idle valve worked? if the TB plate closed with no other way for air to get in, the motor would be choked and stall...
                        Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-31-2006, 01:18 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I thought the throttle stayed "a little" open...good to know though, you learn something everyday.

Comment

Yeah man on my h23 intake mainfold you can watch the iab open and close when you rev the engine. You also shouldnt be able to open them by hand if you can then the vacuum diaphram doesnt have enough vacuum.
                            SuddenCb7 - 1992 Honda Accord EX Coupe

Comment

werd..mine hisses...people get wide-eyed when i crank my car..they are all like "what is THAT??"

Comment

Working...
                              X