Cam lobes are scratched (scared up)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam lobes are scratched (scared up)

I just finished up adjusting the valves on my H22A and I noticed that some of the VTEC lobes are all pitted up. I took pics, but none of them are of decent enough quality to show since they were night pics. If you have ever seen aluminum oxidize it kind of looked like that. You couldn't really feel it though. Is this normal for the VTEC lobes seeing how they engage at higher revs? Has any one else who has taken their valve cover off noticed the same thing? The scaring is mainly only on the Intake side, and it is only on the VTEC lobes. I wonder if the valves being so out of spec it caused damage. About half of my Intake valves were at ~ .010 when within spec is .005-.006. All of the Exhaust valves were fine and in spec.

Any help or insight as to what I should do is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Member's Ride

Well if you wanna fix it cheap just pull it out and sand down the cam lobes with a fine grit depending on the pitting.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

if you can't feel it then how can it possibly affect anything like duration or lift?

i'd not worry at all about it.....just make sure you don't let it get low on oil ever and make anything worse
      ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

what about a minor gouge?
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

If it looks like oxidation, and you can't feel it, then it is probably just normal cam wear. You will find that on all of them with a reasonable number of miles.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Allright, I just wanted to make sure, as only the VTEC lobes had the visible problem present....

Member's Ride

Comment

how does she run now with the vavles in spec?

and yah i'd say it's normal to see that sorta wear on lobes. atleast all the high milage cams i've seen.
              WTB:
              88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
              OR
              90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

Running a little stronger now. The bogging I used to experience went away after advancing the ignition timing a little. I should have double checked the ignition timing a LONG time ago like I had been advised to here on the boards, but I thought ignition timing would stay the same from pre warm up and post warm up temps. I was way wrong! Now I am in huge need of an H22 tranny big time. A couple of my friends have an Integra GSR and another has an RSX Type S. The GSR has a Skunk2 intake manifold, DC header, AEM intake, B16 tranny, and he pulls pretty good on me. The RSX is stock I believe and he pulls ~ 2 cars from a 45 MPH roll then we stay about even. I'm hoping with the H22 tranny I can beat both of them. A 45 MPH roll w/ the F22 tranny isn't even close to fair against the 6 speed. He's allready shifting to third as I hit VTEC in second. If it wasn't for that then it'd be pretty close. If only I could save the grand for an LSD equipped tranny.

Member's Ride

Comment

Working...
                X