Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adding acetone to fuel = better gas mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm, when my friend sent me this article I was pretty skeptical about it. I might try it on my next tank, but I really dont have any easy acess to acetone, so I might not be able to.
    -Mark-
    CB7
    CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
    Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

I think you have to be 18, but you can buy it at Wal-Mart
      1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
      2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

yea, thats why I said easy access. I dont really feel like taking a trip to Wal-Mart. haha Im lazy.
        -Mark-
        CB7
        CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
        Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

We sell it at lowes in quarts and I think also in gallons

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

acetone is good for cleaning ex...'s heads/blocks before you put a head on, removing paint stuff like that. oh its good for chicks with lumpy asses..(ass-a-tone) nevermind

Comment

^^^^ goober....hehehe

I left the car in MN now that i'm down in TN so can't tell you about long term uses, but for the 2 or 3 months we did it it worked good.

the best thing i found to add the acetone was a turkey baster with measuring lines on it.
              WTB:
              88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
              OR
              90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

MYTHBUSTERS lost about 1mpg when they added something like 10% acetone to some test beater, along with a bunch of other crap people told them or sold them that didn't work. Over 50mph, you get better gas mileage with your windows up and A/C on than with them down because of drag. Intakes, Cruise Control, and Wimpy Transmissions give you better gas mileage.
                Last edited by lucid; 05-26-2006, 11:51 PM.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                PM me and get it done right!

Comment

how much better gas mileage do CIA's and SR's give us

Comment

I don't have any concrete numbers, but I've been told that an intake will give you a couple miles more to the gallon. I forgot to mention something that might actually work really well- Get an aftermarket coil and ignition box, one of the ones that does multi-spark. That should smooth out a lot of roughness and let you get maximum power and efficiency for the gas you're burning. Ignitions are expensive, and so is acetone, but one of these things actually works. What is (SR's)?

Comment

Originally posted by ez8o5
                      how much better gas mileage do CIA's and SR's give us
                      CAI=Cold Air Intake

SR=Short Ram Intake

Comment

sounds like a job for MythBusters
                        The CB7 Timeline

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordexpower
                          sounds like a job for MythBusters
                          I'm pretty sure they've already done it.

Comment

if they used 10% then that's too much. that dude stated that in the article that you can't add too much or it stops working so good. and besides 10% is freaking a bunch considering i only used 3 oz per 10 gallons. do the math!
                            WTB:
                            88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
                            OR
                            90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

I wasn't paying attention to the technical numbers on my tv or screen with that laserlike scrutiny well enough to speak for the show, and I think they got their info off some random from the internet anyway . I just pay for good gas instead. 3oz to ten gallons isn't much, do the dew! Higher compression and higher octane give better mileage per volume of fuel, right? I wonder what acetone does to the octane rating, someone want to do the math?

Comment

Straight acetone is 150-octane
                                From the article. I don't know how to compute that, but I'll try to learn.

87 octane is 87 percent octane, 13 percent other additives.

Acetone is 150 octane

10 gallons is 1280 ounces

3 ounces is .00234375 percent acetone content per 10 gallons gas

erm.....0.3515625....ehhhh 35% or 3.5 octane??....IDK WTF im doing I give up

Oh but btw, check out some of these web sites about acetone as an additive

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/
                                Many products claiming to improve mileage are expensive and do not really help much. Others are fakes. For instance, a SMOOTH flow of air into a carburetor or injector is far better for mileage than turbulent air. Turbulence is bad. Yet many people deliberately introduce turbulent air into their engines. There are many silly myths floating around the car industry to fool the average person. Another is that cold intake air improves mileage. NO. Warm air improves mileage.
                                Last edited by accordaffair; 05-27-2006, 10:58 PM.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                                where you been, is something wrong?
                                i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X