Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adding acetone to fuel = better gas mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding acetone to fuel = better gas mileage?

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm

I read (most) of this article and it claims that adding acetone to your fuel can increase gas mileage 15-27 percent. Im extremely skeptical about it, but I am willing to try it. just thought I would get your opinions on it.
    -Mark-
    CB7
    CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
    Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

i would definatly test it on a beater before using it on a daily driver

Comment

or just have friend try it first lolol!!

Comment

This guy sounds like a total douche. I don't trust him, but I don't think acetone in your gas is such a bad idea either.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
        where you been, is something wrong?
        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

i did it in a 89 maxima with the vg30de and it went from 24mpg to 29 and one time we got 32mpg on the highway. I wanted to make sure so what i did was add it to a full tank of mine run it down completly and check mpg. then the next 3 times i filled up i didn't add it. it went down to 24 again and then i added acetone a few more fill ups and it did the same thing, went back up to ~28+ mpg. so the +4mpg for me and my boss turned up good.
          WTB:
          88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
          OR
          90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

interesting...how much did u add?

Rocesride Member Page

Comment

Sounds like a terrific way to destroy your 87 octane rated seals that came stock in the F22A1 engine(assuming of course that's what you've got)
              as well as burning hot enough to warp the block. I would just stick to good ol' gasoling and keep on keeping on.
              (RIP)1993 LX Sedan
              Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
              My (old) Ride

Comment

Another good way to increase gas mileage.

Don't hold the pedal at 85 mph on the highway. Back down to 65 and your gas mileage will go up.

Comment

Being light on the gas pedal is effective too. If you understand vacuum you can save gas mileage. Acetone cleans the combustion chambers and what not. Its not exactly adding gas mileage its restoring IMO.
                  Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

I used 3oz of acetone per fill up. I think at most i added 4oz, but didn't notice anything so i figured i should just keep it low.
                    WTB:
                    OR
                    90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

Being light on the gas pedal is effective too. If you understand vacuum you can save gas mileage. Acetone cleans the combustion chambers and what not. Its not exactly adding gas mileage its restoring IMO.
                      What speed gives my car the best mileage?

The one that produces the least waste. This is easy to find with a vacuum gauge or ScanGauge you place on your dash. Drive your car at whatever speed gives the highest vacuum reading at cruise. A high manifold vacuum helps to tear apart fuel molecules to vaporize them with air to start an efficient combustion process in the chamber. Learn to back off on your gas pedal briefly as you drive.
                      from the article in the link

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                      where you been, is something wrong?
                      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

its an interesting concept but i still like making your own diesile fuel from french fry oil lol but yeah you get better MPG but what about performance?

Comment

it felt about the same pep wise. The car had a messed up map sensor so it was cranky in the morning anyway, plus the fridged cold of northern MN didn't help it any.
                          WTB:
                          OR
                          90-93 Accord.

Comment

so the general conclusion is that it really doesnt help? Im all for trying new things, but I never really understood how it was helping when I was reading the article. it kinda just said that it was helping. and Im way too skeptical to just trust what someone on the internet posts up.

thanks guys.
                            -Mark-
                            CB7
                            CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                            Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Funny you guys should bring this up. I have a Nissan 300ZX and I brought it up a while back at our forum..

Here was our results

http://allnissans.com/showthread.php?t=1241
                              1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
                              2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X