Problems with gauge clutser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with gauge clutser

At first I thought it was just the speed sensor that needed replacing because my speedo didn't work and all my gauges would..

Then my tach stopped working and I replaced the cluster due to it having a messed up circuit board...

Now the speedo works sometimes at random speeds, and the tach works fine but stops at 3500 and jumps to 4500 really quick.

I'm stumped on it, I've checked fuses and more and I'm about to replace the speed sensor but like wana knowif this might be a diff problem cause of the tach.
    Hi, I'm Shippo and I have a problem. I keep buying CB7's.

Yeah, you need to replace your speed sensor. Since your tach works, and you get intermitten speed readings, that's the case

your odometer stops working as well...

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
    1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Might want to check the speed sensor as mentioned. Is it sticking in the tach? Could be a bad gauge cluster.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Hmm, well I dono if its the cluster or the sensor..

The oddometer works some.

I'm wondering if maybe the cluster might need oiled on the tach since the tach works fine but stops at 3500 and jumps to 4500 really quick.

Comment

The tach is wound up with a spring behind the cluster...that's not a problem at all. no oil!

Just replace the Speed sensor...you've replaced the cluster, which gets signal from the coil, thus RPM.

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
          1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

that's strange, i just had that problem. I put in a new cluster and about 1 week later i took it out again cause the temp guage wasn't working and the same spot on the board was burnt like the old one. And i'm positive that it wasn't burnt before. I dont know how long this new one will last but it's getting too much juice from somewere. This was on a 90 lx auto. My 90 ex stick doens't have this problem at all. Anyone else have some insight on this?
            WTB:
            88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
            OR
            90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

Originally posted by immeraufdemhund
              that's strange, i just had that problem. I put in a new cluster and about 1 week later i took it out again cause the temp guage wasn't working and the same spot on the board was burnt like the old one. And i'm positive that it wasn't burnt before. I dont know how long this new one will last but it's getting too much juice from somewere. This was on a 90 lx auto. My 90 ex stick doens't have this problem at all. Anyone else have some insight on this?

by chance was it on the right side of the board and connected to the third pin from the right going left?

I think I know what it is doing it cause mine is a 5 speed.
              Last edited by Shippo; 05-21-2006, 03:31 PM.

Comment

its on the same side as the temp guage. it's for one of the connections on the black molded connector thing. looks like it got dipped in black plastic. Can't trace it cause i dont know what the black thing is.
                WTB:
                88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
                OR
                90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

ahh then I lucked out on mine cause I can just rewire it on this one, but I think its got something to do with the wiring in the engine bay cause I have a broke connector that works lose sometimes.

edit:

nope its eaten another cluster dang it.
                  Last edited by Shippo; 05-21-2006, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X