how do you tighten the e-brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you tighten the e-brake?

my e brake doesnt grip really well, when i pull hard, it slows down the car, but does not lock up the back tires. how can i change it so that it locks the rear tires? please let me know, thanks.

Remove the cover over the e-brake. There's a 12mm nut you have to turn to tighten or loosen the tension. If you can't get it tight enought, then you probably need new rear brakes.

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Dont forget to pull up your e-brake a lil when adjusting.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

replace your rear shoes/pads first before adjusting it. this is most likely why it isn't strong. you don't need to remove the center console to adjust. just remove the ashtray at the back and stick a 14mm i think in there and tighten the nut. after tightening make sure you have about 4-8 clicks on the handle. that's recommended.
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

ha, I'm not used to having and interior so I just try to remember what's in the way sometimes. Forgot about the ashtray deal. I could swore mine is a 12mm, but I'll double check...been a while since I adjusted it. And I think how you adjust it is really up to your own preference.

My Accord History:
          91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

[QUOTE=timmy0tool]replace your rear shoes/pads first before adjusting it. this is most likely why it isn't strong. you don't need to remove the center console to adjust. just remove the ashtray at the back and stick a 14mm i think in there and tighten the nut. after tightening make sure you have about 4-8 clicks on the handle. that's recommended.[/QUO

yea you shoulds replace the shoes or the pads first because i just had to spend $328 (that was my moneyfor my drop to ) on new wheel hubs and drums and shoes for both sides of the back of my car cause my mechanic showed me that when i would pull on the E-brake there was no rubber it was just the steel part of the shoe grinding on the drums and that the wheel hubs were gone already so learn from my mistake and either check them out or replace them before you adjust it good news about it is that my brakes stop and feel alot better after replacing the pads and adjusting the e-brake
            ________
            Mercedes-Benz Buses Specifications
            Last edited by Davids92Accord; 04-09-2011, 02:27 AM.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
            "2SIIC"
            Authentic Jerseys for sale
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

drifting is bad for your health

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Davids92Accord

i just had to spend $328 (that was my moneyfor my drop to ) on new wheel hubs and drums and shoes for both sides of the back of my car
                I would have just bought a rear disc setup from an EX or SE...I got mine for $100...
                My Ongoing CB7 Project

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_EJ
                  I would have just bought a rear disc setup from an EX or SE...I got mine for $100...
                  yea i know i could of done that but i didnt want to waste any more time driving like before it gets even more serious and plus i just recently found out that my dads friend is giving us his 95 accord EX because the whole front end is messed up cause of the car accident he was in and my dad already called dibs on the stock rims so im gonna get the rear disc and convert it but until i make space in my back yard for that car to come in i dont have to worry about my drums in the back
                  ________
                  Avandia Pregnancy
                  Last edited by Davids92Accord; 04-09-2011, 02:27 AM.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
                  "2SIIC"
                  Authentic Jerseys for sale
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Most rear shoes are in decent shape and if yours is..... Jack up the rear end, remove wheels and rear drums. Adjust your brakes so that they have some/a little resistance. Then, remove the rear ashtray and use a 12mm deep-well (not 14mm) to adjust the tension on the parking/E-brake lines so that it locks up in 4-8 clicks is the spec for stock settings. If you do not adjust the rear brakes before doing the tension adjustment, they will not be as effective/responsive.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by Davids92Accord
                      yea i know i could of done that but i didnt want to waste any more time driving like before it gets even more serious and plus i just recently found out that my dads friend is giving us his 95 accord EX because the whole front end is messed up cause of the car accident he was in and my dad already called dibs on the stock rims so im gonna get the rear disc and convert it but until i make space in my back yard for that car to come in i dont have to worry about my drums in the back
                      Cool. If you need any help with that, hit me up.
                      My Ongoing CB7 Project

Comment

so replace the back drums and make sure that its still tight?

Comment

also make sure you do not over tighten the slack adjuster
                          the car should be able to roll freely with out the sound or feel of the rear brakes grabing
                          WE MISS YOU JO(9-04-2008)

Comment

Working...
                          X