Hesitates and bogs, misshifting AT tranny.. HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hesitates and bogs, misshifting AT tranny.. HELP

Ok so this has been happening for a while now, maybe a month or so. When I accelerate from a stop, the car revs faster and higher than normal, then the revs bog, and my car shifts. Also the car seems to not want to shift until it reaches a certain speed. And also, when I put the car into drive, its takes a few seconds for the car to engage. Just to make it easier to understand, this is what happens when I leave my house to go to work.

Start up the car, starts fine, let it warm up, idles smooth at ~700 RPM. Put it in reverse, back out of my garage, put it into drive, wait four or five seconds for the car to actually go into drive, then apply the gas. [NOTE: Just recently I found that sometimes the car will not go into drive, it may just sit there and stutter at around 400-500 RPM. I can apply gas to get the car to move, then when I start to move forward a bit I'll hear a grinding noise coming from the front passenger side of the engine as the car goes into drive.] If I apply 15-20% throttle, car feels and shifts almost normally. If I apply 30-40% throttle, the revs climb quickly to about 3k, then bog down to about 2500 when I get close to 20km/h, then shifts when I hit 20km/h. Now when it shifts to second gear, still at 30-40% throttle, the revs immediately climb quickly up to 2800, stay there for a few seconds, then they start to climb normally to about 3500. Car then shifts at ~43 km/h. Now I'm cruising down the street at around 60km/h in 4th gear. To overtake a car, I apply about 70-80% throttle, and the car will rev to 4500, sometimes 5500 RPM, and stay there until the speed slowly climbs to about 80km/h, then it bogs down to 2500-3000RPM and stays there to maintain speed. Normally, if anyone were to do that in an auto, when you apply the 70-80% throttle, the car usually downshifts to speed up faster, then shifts back into 4th at around 75km/h. Now, cruising along at 75km/h, I catch an amber, and I have to brake a little hard to stop for the red. When I come to a complete stop, the revs will stick at around 1k RPM for less than a second, then the car jerks like I had just put it into drive, and the revs go back to normal.

That is basically what its like to drive the car right now. I have done some searching on the site and tried troubleshooting it myself, but nothing I did seemed to help at all. So far, I've cleaned out the TB and IACV filter with carb cleaner, and replaced the fuel filter. I'm thinking it may be something to do with the TCU, tranny fluid, spark plug wires, maybe even the fuel pump. Anything else at all that anyone would be able to suggest would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by sm1ke; 04-29-2006, 02:40 AM.
    1991 Accord LX - R.I.P. you are missed..

1999 Accord EX-V6
    [AMR coilovers/Progress rear sway/NRG strut tower bar/AEM V2 CAI/Morimoto H1 retro/Racing Sparco wheels]

I'm going to suggest you do two things:

1)Flush out your coolant, and refill it properly...it kinda sounds like you have air in your coolant lines.

2)Flush out your transmission fluid and refill it using genuine Honda ATF. Then go out and buy a bottle of lucas oil. Use half a bottle of lucas oil mixed with your ATF.

The one general problem the Cb Accord's had was their auto trannys is that with high mileage, they tend to shift very harshly...this is evident from consumer reviews and my own car as well...half a bottle of lucas oil will and should fix that problem, as it kinda sounds like in your post...

good luck!

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
    1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

A board member suggested that I try replacing the TCU, tranny solenoids, and the VSS. Is there anyway I can test these parts to see if they need to be replaced?

1999 Accord EX-V6
      [AMR coilovers/Progress rear sway/NRG strut tower bar/AEM V2 CAI/Morimoto H1 retro/Racing Sparco wheels]

Comment

if you have a haynes it should tell you all the ways to test it.
        No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

Originally posted by sm1ke
          A board member suggested that I try replacing the TCU, tranny solenoids, and the VSS. Is there anyway I can test these parts to see if they need to be replaced?
          Flush out the ATF as mentioned and see what happens. Anyone touch the solenoids on your tranny? VSS is completely cancelled out here since it monitors your speed. Usually on autos i think if its VSS it will throw a code and lights start flashing. You can try jumping the TCU and see if there are codes. Worst case scenario is the TCU itself you can find a person with a similar TCU switch it around and see if that fixes it.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

bump, any possibility that the clutch plates on the tranny may be wearing out?

1999 Accord EX-V6

Comment

well being that auto tranys use fluid to make the car move if your fluid is low it will make the car bog and i dont know alot about auto tranys but im pretty sure you dont have "clutch" plates just a tourqe converter.

Comment

it's weird, but i checked the tranny fluid level and its right at the top of the cross-hatched section of the dipstick. i'll try draining the fluid and try putting honda atf in soon, possibly this sunday. i'll keep this thread updated.

1999 Accord EX-V6

Comment

Definitely check the fluid level and condition, if it is really brown and smells burnt, most likely your clutch packs are going in the transmission. What you describe sounds like a broken one way clutch on the stator in the torque converter.... basically it helps with the efficiency of the converter and if it fails, the revs have to go higher to make the fluid coupling work...
                  The D4 light isnt flashing or just on all the time is it? If it is jump the service connector and read the codes (do a search on how to perform that procedure if u dont already know)
                  Let us know what you come up with.

Comment

Have your tranny flushed properly, have a shop hook it up to the tranny flush machine that way it replaces all of your tranny fluid (8 QTS) that will take out all the fluid out of your lines and cooler, intead of draining it your self and leaving all the old shit in the lines.
                    CiRcuS kiNgZ

Comment

its your tranny solinoids. my bros car did the same till we replaced the solinoids. it could also be the tcu, your level of tranny fluid is fine.
                      contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

Ya if ya do replace the atf fluid, make sure you got some muscles and a breaker bar to get that damn bolt off.

I cant get mine off tried some liquid wrench with air wrench and a breaker bar and still cant get it off...grr

Dr. Jekyll by day Mr. Hyde by night
                        ----
                        02 Pontiac Firebird W68
                        92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT

Comment

If a transmission is starting to slip and the fluid is burnt, flushing the trans will most likely kill it... it happened to me....

Comment

ok guys this is the problem i am having with my auto transmission at first my car would sslam and shake everytime it changes into 2nd gear and after that all the gears change smoothly but now just recently my car if i am driving down the freeway it goes all the way to 4th gear and then just by itself downshift into 2nd gear so i have to get off the freeway and drive down the streets, then when im at a stop the car takes off in 2nd gear and it just stays there it wont shift anymore so i dunno what to do ????
                            and also i wanted to ask you guys i asked a mechanic how much he will charge me for a transmission flush and he said hell charge 160 because the transmission takes up about 12 quarts of honda geuin trans fluid. is this true? cause ive searched and i found out that it was only 2.5 quarts so can you guys help me out??
                            ________
                            Aprilia Sxv450
                            Last edited by Davids92Accord; 04-09-2011, 02:31 AM.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
                            "2SIIC"
                            Authentic Jerseys for sale
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Working...
                            X