Fan question & Radiator ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan question & Radiator ???

1. Hey everyone i have an 93 accord LX. i was just wondering for everyone that has the same car. does your fans every stay on or turn on after you turn the car off (when taking the key out?) if not... then what would be the problem? (Had the car for a yr. fans never kicked in till i did a flush and changed the thermostat (live in buffalo,ny so its cold and now its turning on after i turn it off)

2. Also.... Most cars have Fan Clutchs to tell the fans when and when not to turn on. what does the honda accord bring? cuz i know its not called a fan clutch..

3. Also.. is it normal for the top raditor hose to get warm and hot when you first warm up your car and the bottom one that goes from the Thermostat to the radiator stay cool (or not get as hot as the upper one) or there suppose to be the same temp?

Three quesitions if you people can answer them in that order.. thanks so much
    Tony
    Last edited by honda83; 03-24-2006, 07:56 PM.

Any fan can kick on when the battery is hooked up. But to answer your question, after you shut the car off the fans will kick on to cool it down, at least mine does. I've never had a problem with the battery, or the car being cooled before so I never worried about it.
    Coming soon....

Comment

Originally posted by 92HondaPower
      Any fan can kick on when the battery is hooked up. But to answer your question, after you shut the car off the fans will kick on to cool it down, at least mine does. I've never had a problem with the battery, or the car being cooled before so I never worried about it.
      What? when hooked up to a battery? what r u talking about? am not talking about ant ghetto hook up. just saying natural way. like wires or nothing never messed with at all. never!

Comment

hey sup man its normal... my other accord did the same thing it just kicks in so it will cool down your car but i got to admit it is pretty emberasing to hear it go on once you get out of your car LOL but dont worry bout its all good!
        ・オレンジ(デミオのオレンジがなかなかいい味を…)
          ・ブルー(インプレッサみたいな感じのメタリック系が何
          ・その他随時考え中…

......今日までの道の愚かな米に屈辱を与えるためにHonda Accord は作られた。愚かな競争を従事させている間抹消されるところ倍数の敵ターゲット。CB7 Honda Accord 。道の王。自動車恐怖。........

Comment

ok i understant that. but i had my car for a yr. and have friends that have an honda accord. when it was 80 out side and i would drive the car all day and turned it off the fans never did that before. until one day i noticed my heater wasnt working. so i changed the thermostat and did a flush and two days later thats when it started to happen. (the little gauge was stuck that was causing the heater not to work) then i had all kinds of overheating problems. even with the fan direct it would over heat (changed =Waterpump,timing belts,thermostat (twice),pressure radiator cap,spark plugs and wires,battery,negative battery wire,alternator,valve cover gasket,Fan sensor) and still nothing. Fans would turn on after i turn the car off not while i was driving it. so i guess now my mechanic saids the fans turn on while its on but the fans are still staying on for like 2minutes after i turn the car off. (he changed i guess some sensors and a fan clutch)

Comment

I meant when the battery is hooked up, as in power running through anything at any given time? Positive and negative are both connected, catch my drift? lol And like I said, I've had my car two years now and since the day I got it, it's done that.
            Coming soon....

Comment

the thermostat is located on the side (passenager side) of the engine. off of the long hose. the upper hose is from the radiator to the engine and the longer lower hose is from the thermostat to the radiator. i changed it twice. so ya i know were that goes.

Comment

ok.. well i finally got the fans to turn while am driving. i had some kind of rubber or something in my radiator. and i had a dead sensor.but still when i turn off the car the fans kick on and stay on for about 6 to 8 minutes after i turn the car off. why you think it still doing that?

i have changed two sensors and also a clutch fan on it and still.. but atleast i got it to turn on now finally. but anyone know what would cause it to still stay on 6 to 8 minutes after i turn the car off?

Comment

yes. its normal

it is normal for the fans to stay on after you turn the car off..the unit responsible for this is called the fan timer unit(under the dash).

glad to see your got it running..nice work

tomd

Comment

hey everyone.

ok this is the deal now. i was riding the car about a week ago and did that for about 45minues just all around. well after i turned off the car the fan stayed on for 12mintues. now i really know thats not normal at all. well i went ahead and changed the raditor and the hoses also.

today it stayed on for about 5mintues and turned off then about a minute or two later it turned back on for about a minute then turned off.just seems to me the longer i drive it te longer it will stay on. now my boy has a 90 accord. and the same thing is going on with his car also. but we both have the same problem with the car dieing out also whenever. with a new alternator and all and still have the lights dime when the beats are on.i have a cap in the back also and when i first got this car the lights never dimed. just thought maybe both of these have something to do with each other since both of are cars are doing the same thing.

but to fix all these i have changed
                    (2 sensors,fan clutch timer,radiator and hoses,water pump,4 thermostats,alternator,negative battery wire,vaulve cover gaskets,spark plug and wires) i have put alot into this car. its not over heating anymore but these fan thing i know isnt normal. and also i dont see no reason why the lights will dime or also die at times were i have to jump it.

anyone have this or these problems before and might know what it is or what did they do to fix it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by honda83
                      ...but to fix all these i have changed
                      (2 sensors,fan clutch timer,radiator and hoses,water pump,4 thermostats,alternator,negative battery wire,vaulve cover gaskets,spark plug and wires) i have put alot into this car. its not over heating anymore but these fan thing i know isnt normal...
                      LOL! i did almost everything you did! lol!

Yes, the fans are supposed to turn on sometimes afterwards...the temps now here in NY are around 75ish F. If i drive my car for around 45 mins, all city, stop and go...a lot of WOT driving hehehe...then the motor gets hot, fast. The thermosensor will trigger the fans...after a cycle & cycle. So if you turn off your car, the cycle will continue...until it stops, around 10-17 mins(my timings).

The next time that happens, openthe hood, unplug the negative battery.
                      The fans will stop.
                      Then plug the negative back on, the fans will finish its cycle...completely normal.

I would rather it kick on afterwards myself...to fully cool the motor...headgaskets like being cool...

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                      1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

umm well 10-15 minutes is not normal at all. normal is 2minutes at the most. but i dont know. anyone else with the problem and got it fixed? cuz to tell you the truth. i had these car for a yr and never did i have my fans turns on after at all. til it over heated cuz of my sensor. but thats what this site is for to hear from other people.

Keep it coming people...

Comment

BUMP!!!

Come on now!
                          All these Hondas on this site and no replys. come on people i know this has and have happened to someone else also. and did anyone get it fixed?

Get back at me!

Thanks ALOT!!

Comment

1. Its normal. I think max for it to stay on is 15 min, it should say in your owners manual. Obviously its there to cool down the engine on those hot summer days.

2. Our cars have a fan switch on the T-stat housing and a Fan timer to tell the car to leave the fan on for a certain amount of time.

3. This is not really normal...Usually both become equally hot when driving around. If it stays like this you could have some problems. Do both lower and upper hoses feel about equal in heat and stiffness after driving? If yes then yea its normal.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

15minutes? umm i dont know. when i see some prof of writing from honda or something then i will believe. but i know i was at a dealer and read that 2minutes was the limit. am trying to find the side. all i remember is it started with a M. but if anyone finds info or a site. please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X