clicking noise coming from auto tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clicking noise coming from auto tranny?

when i have my car in park or basically whenever it is idling the tranny makes a clicking noise as it spins...i can still hear the clicking once i drive off and it gets faster as i accelerate but then it dies away with the rest of the noise from the car...

does anyone have any idea what this could be? i checked the fluid level and its fine so im wondering if the tranny is going out...any ideas?

thanks

Get a FREE PLAYSTATION 3 before anyone else can!!!

maybe tranny, check tires

Comment

its not coming from the tires i got under the car and checked...its coming from the tranny...

safe to drive?
      going out?
      any ideas?

Comment

bump

Comment

you sure it couldn't be a valve or something?
          Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

bring it to a tranny shop they do free inspections

My Members Ride Page

Comment

valves and injectors on these cars can get very loud....my valves are adjusted perfectly but make as much noise as a small exhaust leak would, VERY loud for valves.......hondas are notorious for valve and inector noise though.......

why do you think it's coming from your tranny anyway? any certain reason?

Comment

i got under the car while it was on ramps and listened and the sound seemed like it was coming from the transmission...

and the noise varies depending on whether in in park, reverse, neutral, or drive...

if it is the tranny anyone know why would it be making this noise?
                Last edited by Aaron; 03-16-2006, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron
                  i got under the car while it was on ramps and listened and the sound seemed like it was coming from the transmission...

and the noise varies depending on whether in in park, reverse, neutral, or drive...

if it is the tranny anyone know why would it be making this noise?
                  could be the torque converter or a loose bolt on it, something in the valvebody of the tranny, etc

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                    could be the torque converter or a loose bolt on it, something in the valvebody of the tranny, etc
                    if it was one of the things you mentioned...would the car still be okay to drive or would the problem get worse? is there anything i can do to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron
                      if it was one of the things you mentioned...would the car still be okay to drive or would the problem get worse? is there anything i can do to fix it?
                      if its a torque converter bolt, just take the cover off (3 10mm bolts) and inspect the bolt... make sure the head isnt rounded off. if not tighten it back up with a 10mm wrench... then check to see if the problem persists... oh by the way i believe theres 8 torque converter bolts(someone correct me if im wrong).. be sure to check all of them

Comment

Working...
                      X