This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dont understand alternator

I was searching and I still don't understand about the alternator. It gives enegry to the battery? What are some signs as to the alternator starting to break. When I drive with my 2 subs and amp, it makes a screching nosie from the belt. Please help thanks

You sure your belt aint rubbin on anything or your pulley is rubbin on something? Is it constant even if you dont run the system? Do your lights dim?

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

try searching on www.howstuffworks.com, or i think someone did a writeup on an alternator.. sure ya could search and find the answer.

Comment

Dude that screetching IS your alternator, get a high peformance alternator, should take care of your problem. Your problem is that you're trying to pull too many amps and your alternator is working much harder to recharge your battery. An alternator is basicly a magnet that spins inside a metal coil, go to that howstuffworks site to get a very detailed description(better than my stoned ramblings atleast).
        1991 Honda Accord, 2.2L I4

Comment

Originally posted by zigzack
          Dude that screetching IS your alternator, get a high peformance alternator, should take care of your problem. Your problem is that you're trying to pull too many amps and your alternator is working much harder to recharge your battery. An alternator is basicly a magnet that spins inside a metal coil, go to that howstuffworks site to get a very detailed description(better than my stoned ramblings atleast).
          depends.

if it is going eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee then its the belt, but if its a whinning sound then its the alternator just working.

if you want to knwo if your alternator is good...at idle get a voltage meter and read the voltage, then turn on the ac, the lights with the highs the defroster and your system...it should be above 13 volts, if not then you got a bad alternator.

let it sit like that for a bit, if the voltage drops ur alternator is fuked.
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

it's probably your belts, if it's the noise described above, just put some hand soap on them, or better yet, get them replaced!
            The CB7 Timeline

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordexpower
              it's probably your belts, if it's the noise described above, just put some hand soap on them, or better yet, get them replaced!
              or simply tighten it..

Comment

If you hear a screeching near the altenator check the belt for loose tention which is rare that a altenator is likely to fail. That or if its rustes as hell. But if you hear a shingling sound its either loose or the altenator is likely to fail it happened to my boys swap. But tighten the belt first that is probably the problem.

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=42260

nuf said...read stickies...I've eliminated the BS ones and stickied only good info.

so read up peeps!
                  HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                  X