Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel consumption problem! Any info would help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel consumption problem! Any info would help!

Honda accord 90 ex consuming fuel like crazy, anyone got any ideas on what the reason for this is ? any info would help thanks.
    Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.. CB7 Rider :>

i have the same question. I have a 91 lx and i am only getting like 15 mpg.
    R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
    My members ride page
    Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

im getting 19.

check ur spark plugs pcv put some fuel injector cleaner.

spark plugs likley the cause.

but mine are all new so i am looking elsewhere....but you guy's may have better luck.

tune up time!
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Yeah, if it hasn't had a recent tune-up, definately start there. oil change, PCV valve, fuel filter, dist cap, rotor, plugs (NGK), and wires.
        00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Yeah a tune up and oil change is in order from top to bottom. like timing ,sparkplugs ,sparkplug wires, fuel filter. Little shit like that.

Comment

I'd also check your oxygen sensor. My thought is if it's bad it could cause the engine to run on the rich side for safety (prolly some failsafe mode...better to run rich than lean). This would also be affecting your performance I'd imagine. The other things mentioned by others above, I'd check regardless if you want maximum performance out of your engine. All should be in good condition even if you did not have noticeable probs.

Out of curiosity...What is the current mileage on your cars? (directed at two with fuel consumption probs).
            Last edited by HondaFan81; 03-09-2004, 01:35 PM.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I would not think fuel injector cleaner is needed. If they were partially clogged, then how is excessive fuel being dispersed? I think because you're consuming too much fuel, the fuel system is most likely OK.

I think the problem lies either electronically or mechanically in the intake system (somewhere it's partially/fully clogged) OR in the emission system (partially/fully clogged somewhere or component damaged/failed).

If I stated something incorrect, please feel free to correct. This is all just my opinion.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

fuel gets dreaded with carbon build up. that build up can lead to partially clogged injectors. i do it just to be safe.

my mpg goes up if i dont put cleaner for a long time. its not just an injector cleaner, it cleans the fuel line, and fuel filter. that carbon build up in the head really takes a toll after a while, and untreated gas is basically a dark black color instead of a clearish color.

but i take out your spark plugs and inspect them.

check ur air filter as well.
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

yea i would change the air filter because that improved my gas mileage.
                  92 accord lx sedan

Phantom Grey Crew #6
                  MY ACCORD

Comment

so what kind of fuel injector cleaner do you guys recommend using? because I haven't really been getting that great gas mileage either. I know thats not the only thing to make my mpg better but i can only afford to do one thing at a time.

Comment

this will solve all of your fuel problems..

Comment

lol im coo...that stuff to me is a waste. in theroy it is sound though

well my milage is actually good. i read and stock milage is 21 city for the accord well thats not the se models or the 92 93 ex. and im getting about 19 mpg. so thats damn close. but its gone up to the SE accord i think since i did my manifold swap.

fuel injector cleaner: chevron or lucaus.

i use fuel cleaner every 3k about a tank before an oil change.

clean throttle body, IAC, etc.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I use the Sea Foam for injector cleaner. That stuff works great and i think you can add it in the oil if you have some left over.

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                          11.68 @ 127mph
                          417whp/375wtq
                          Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Check O2 sensor i just changed mine damn what a difference in fuel consumption and of course spark plugs at the same time change distributor cap+rotor and wires while u're at it.
                            U silly rabbit don't u know tricks are made for kidz, You without me is like corn flakes without the milk! This my world, you just a squirrel trying to get a nut!!

Comment

does that tornado fuel saver really work?
                              92 accord lx sedan

Phantom Grey Crew #6
                              MY ACCORD

Comment

Working...
                              X