Properly installing an axle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Properly installing an axle...

Ok, i searched but honestly found nothing but countless threads about broken axles or "what axles for my swap"...So heres my Q.

So i have a brand new axle, with a brand transimission housing seal.

It doesn't popout or anything, it just leaks, alot.If i grab and try to move it in and out, there is about 1/8" of slack.So how do i do get this bitch in properly?

Also, is it normal for the wheel to move inward as i raise the car up?<----stupid question.

ILBB
    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
    The world needs to be reset.

Is the axle end part the part that is moving in and out or just the shaft? the shaft will have some in and out movement. If the bigger axle part has movement, then its not clipped all the way in. You either need to pull it out and put your weight into it, or do what I have to do sometimes (only when its all the way in minus the click) and put a piece of wood up to the end and hit it with a hammer, being careful not to break the boot.

Comment

yes, the parts the mates to the tranny moves in and out...my dad suggested the same thing you did, i just wanted to get more opinions.So tommorow i'll just pound that motherfucker in(carefully), Add some syncromesh and call it a day.

ILBB
      People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

Is the axle brand new honda or remanufactured?
        I had a problem before like that. I bought a reman. one and I guess they put the wrong one in the box. The splines were alinged properly but the axle was a tad bit shorter than the old one and when I held down the brake and pressed the gas the pressure popped the axel right out of the transmission.
        And the wood and hammer is the best bet at this point.

Comment

thanx man, i'll take care of it 2morrow.

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

are you sure it wasnt an abs or without abs because sometimes that happens when they dont ask and you dont know.

Comment

i'm pretty sure he asked me if i had abs or not, i don't know if i still got the right one though.

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

I thought that the axles between abs and non abs were the same length and the abs one had a pickup part on the end.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                  I thought that the axles between abs and non abs were the same length and the abs one had a pickup part on the end.

dito?
                  OS^e
                  1993 Honda Accord LX Coupe

My Members Ride's Thread

StickyDilJoe: "JDM may be a fad, but making your car look like shit... thats forever"

Comment

Thats what i thought too when i was given the wrong one also. The guy made a mistake and gave me one from a different manufaturer. Some work and some dont. Ge gave me one from a 90 and it didnt fit. He told me am i sure its a 92 i told him last time i checked and no it wasnt anyone from autozone . I call it part store error lol

Comment

be careful you didn't get the wrong side axle. one side, i forget which, is like an inch shorter than the other one, that could definitely do it.

edit:
                      the only difference between ABS & Non-ABS is the ring around the inside of the outer joint. its so the speed sensor can pick it up. other than that it won't make a difference, I had advance give me a non ABS axle back when i didn't know enough to look for the ring, and i put it in, and it worked just fine, just no ABS on my car, but they replaced it for me, i'm set now.

and YES the wheel pointing down when you raise the car is sposed to happen. reason for this is the way your suspension works. that way, when you make a left turn, the weight shifts to the right, the right suspension compresses, and the right camber goes negative, and it makes alot better contact to the road. on the left side, there's less weight, the camber goes positive, and it actually grips the road better to have positive camber on the inside wheel.
                      did that explain it?
                      Last edited by 92accordexpower; 03-05-2006, 10:20 PM.
                      The CB7 Timeline

Comment

^^^actully thanx for the explenation.

I don't know, i wouldn't be surprised if they did give me the wrong one...i hope i find the receipt for it or i'll be pissed

Any ways, what "ring are you talking about...speed sensor?i'm guessing its supose to have teeth?I'll go check now.

ILBB

EDIT:yeah, it has the teeth at the end for the speed sensor.
                        Last edited by Ilikebigbutts; 03-05-2006, 10:32 PM.

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

Ok this is really pissing me of!i keep ponding the shit out of it but it still shifts in and out!WTF is the problem?its almost like they gave me the wrong one but this is for abs....

If it shifts in and out it means the snap ring hasn't sat in right?Well its a brand new axle i dont see why it wont.My old axle poped out and the tranny ate the little teeth on the end of the axle,the ones after the ring.I'm getting frustarated and i wanna drive my cb

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

Bump!

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

ABS or non-ABS WILL NOT make a difference with this. however, if you got the wrong side, it might make the difference. check that!!
                              The CB7 Timeline

Comment

Working...
                              X