Fuel Pump Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump Relay

A few weeks ago I stopped at a gas station and filled up then tried to start my car (91 2drlx). It would not start so had it towed home and after a few hours of being stumped I called a mechanic friend. He said sounded like a fuel pump. So I turned the ignition and listened by the gas cap and sure enough the pump did not start. So took it to the mechanic had him install a new fuel pump and it still did not start. He did some more checking and found that the fuel pump relay was missing and someone had ran a wire straight to the fuse box from the pump. I looked under the dash but I don't see a place for it or were it was. I found the new factory relay for 50 on a Honda Dealers website. But I do not know were it connects to. Which leads to my question were is the relay located and does any one have a wiring diagram or pics?

Your fuel pump relay is incorporated into PGM-FI Main Relay. I think that relay is like 80 dollars from the dealership. http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PR...57434/34857446
    1991 Honda Accord, 2.2L I4

Comment

Originally posted by CA1978
      A few weeks ago I stopped at a gas station and filled up then tried to start my car (91 2drlx). It would not start so had it towed home and after a few hours of being stumped I called a mechanic friend. He said sounded like a fuel pump. So I turned the ignition and listened by the gas cap and sure enough the pump did not start. So took it to the mechanic had him install a new fuel pump and it still did not start. He did some more checking and found that the fuel pump relay was missing and someone had ran a wire straight to the fuse box from the pump. I looked under the dash but I don't see a place for it or were it was. I found the new factory relay for 50 on a Honda Dealers website. But I do not know were it connects to. Which leads to my question were is the relay located and does any one have a wiring diagram or pics?
      Well for starters, I would ditch your mechanic friend, because he's got no idea about CB7's if he's told you that.
      I hope you never paid for the repairs. If you have a Haynes WSM Manual,
      Turn to Chapter 4 Page 4. There is a drawing that shows the location of the EFI Main Relay and a description of How to Check it.
      I would also be checking the Fuses & The ECU Grounds @ the Thermo Housing.

Them bloody thieves must be sneaky bastards where you come from. The only way the Fuel Pump Relay could have gone missing was if someone poked there head under the dash and stole it, Pulled the back seat out, ran a wire to under the dash and wired it up to the Plug, Then put the back seat back in, all while you were filling up.

Comment

If you got to the gas station and your car ran before then it took some time to start which it didnt i wouldnt suspect the fuel pump. Id say it might be your main relay. Turn your key to the on position and see if you can hear the fuel pump prime. If it takes a while then you might have a bad main relay. You can also wait until its cooler and try starting it up if it starts right up your main relay may need to be re soldered.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

fuel pump

Thanks for the reply. Your right my mechanic friend does not know much about Honda's. But he only charged 60 to install the fuel pump. I should have mentioned this earlier but I have had this car less than a year but some bypassed the main relay ( I called it a fuel pump relay) and ran a wire from the fuse panel under the dash to the pump. Anyways what happened is some how I kicked the wire loose so of course the fuel pump did not work because it had no power. So my mechanic friend found the broken wire re connected it to the fuse box and it has been running since then. Now I know this is a problem waiting to happen and I am going to by the relay and I want to install but I do not know were it goes and if it is still there. I will buy a Haines manual tonight any help or info is very much appreciated.

Comment

your mechanic friend , doesn't know any cars... any good mechanics before replacing the pump, should have checked to make sure you were getting power and ground.. using a voltmeter would have saved you money and time ............ Had he checked it , he would have realized that there was no power at pump and would not have replaced it........

Any monkey can replace parts, a good tech, diagnoses the problem and replaces the correct part or fixes the problem ..
            As for the main relay it is a known issue with Hondas ,, remove it, take it apart and resolder it..

Relay is located under dash left side, above cruise control unit ,it has a 7 wire connector, brownish/rusty in color, looking from underneath..
            Nice Asses I Like
            Smart asses I don't

Comment

Oh ,,, as for the manual Haynes are junk.. buy the one that dealer use.. get a helm manual..and also get the ETM ( electrical troubleshoot ) book,

www.helminc.com
              Nice Asses I Like
              Smart asses I don't

Comment

Originally posted by deserthonda
                Oh ,,, as for the manual Haynes are junk.. buy the one that dealer use.. get a helm manual..and also get the ETM ( electrical troubleshoot ) book,

www.helminc.com
                Hmmmm! I want one of those ETM's and only US$39.00
                How much would it cost to ship one to OZ, I wonder???
                Cisco, PM me with Details please.

Comment

lol he could of first just checked voltage at the pump, if there was no voltage then he would of figured it out.

thats just like putting oil in the gas tank lol.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                    lol he could of first just checked voltage at the pump, if there was no voltage then he would of figured it out..
                    Yeah by the sounds of it I doubt it if he could find his own cock if he never had it in his hands all the time.
                    Pricks like that give us mechanics a bad name.

Comment

Thanks Desert Honda! Much appreciated. Your right I bought a Haines and Chiltons and could not find what I was looking for. I went to the link to order a manual but it did not show anything available am I doing something wrong?

Comment

Try Honda ETM

Comment

Working...
                        X