Oily spark plugs. Whats the big deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oily spark plugs. Whats the big deal?

So I have oil on my spark plugs as does 90% of the rest of the people on here. I am getting it fixed this week. I was just curious as to what kind of problems this can cause. My plugs are pretty wet with oil. Does it leaqd to misfires? Bad mileage? Loss of power? I am wondering since I want to know if the car will run much better after getting it done. I upgraded the ignition system as well as having all the typical bolt ons. I also run the pt6 ecu, so I am curious if I will have a sudden bunch of power, or if it wont do anything except maybe make the car run smoother and give better mileage. (my city mileage is pretty crap)

Also does anyone know if the urethan mounts made for the torque straps (energy suspension), will work on the tranny mount as well? It an automatic.

Thanks.
    No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Originally posted by DjSpeedy
    So I have oil on my spark plugs as does 90% of the rest of the people on here. I am getting it fixed this week. I was just curious as to what kind of problems this can cause. My plugs are pretty wet with oil. Does it leaqd to misfires? Bad mileage? Loss of power? I am wondering since I want to know if the car will run much better after getting it done. I upgraded the ignition system as well as having all the typical bolt ons. I also run the pt6 ecu, so I am curious if I will have a sudden bunch of power, or if it wont do anything except maybe make the car run smoother and give better mileage. (my city mileage is pretty crap)

Also does anyone know if the urethan mounts made for the torque straps (energy suspension), will work on the tranny mount as well? It an automatic.

Thanks.
    Having engine oil on the sparkplugs is very bad. A spark plug cannot spark if it's soaked with engine oil. If its coming from the valve cover gasket and leaking on top of the plugs, it might not affect performace that much. But if oil is going past the piston rings inside the cylinder, then it will definately create problems like misfires, poor gas milage, power loss and no-starts. Depending on how bad the oil problem was, you could notice a big difference and smoother engine.

Comment

What if you have oil on the BOTTOM side of the spark plugs?? How bad is that?

Comment

i have oil in only one of the spark plug hole..could it be a leak valve gasket or tube seal????..i still didnt fix my yet but my car run good but bad GAS milage..BIG TIME

MY 1n2 CB7

Comment

thats what hes talkin about i think..... I have that happening on cyl # 4, and its causing a miss sometimes, until the engine is warmed up... I would suggest checking compression in the cylinders that are affected and if its good, most likely its just valve seals, replace them and your set.

Comment

on my old 90 civic hatch i had oil all over all of my plugs lol so i put in anti-fowlers...(i didn't know much about anything then) and that was a bad idea because i was goin up a hill on the highway and one of the plugs literally shot out and put a little dent in the hood lol, the plug shattered...yea so i took those things out lol

Comment

just fix it, no worries. later.
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...lug+tube+seals
              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Replace your valve cover gasket...do not use FelPro seals if you are using Synthetic oil. Actually, stay away from FelPro seals in general.

Then, change the spark plug o-rings, 4 small gaskets and also get a set of seals for the valve cover bolts.

All total should run you about $40. USD. Get some carb spray and clean off the side of the head where oil has stained and leaked from...

You can get a pro set from Mr.Gasket, or one of those gasket companies but will be costly...but better quality of course.

Solved.
                No more soaked spark plug wire(s).

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Yeah i see this is a huge problem for our cars. Unfortunatly I already bought the felpro set, but even if it sucks its better than oil on the spark plug. Itson the lower part of the plug. Havent seen any in the boot, but I know its the lower seals because i brought it to a junky garage that had it all done in 15 minutes and it never seemed right.

Cant wait to get it fixed. buddy of mine has a monte carlo that he wants to run against me, and once this gets fixed i might just have to take him up on his offer.

and remember rust isnt bad, just consider it weight reduction
                  No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

Last time i had my valve cover off, 3 of my plug wires were completely emerged in oil. I just installed new gaskets after degreasing the gasket mating surfaces, and dabbed a bit of RTV around the plug holes on the head and on the valve cover to seal 'er up. No leaks as of yet, probably because I cranked the hell out of the 4 nuts holdin' it down!
                    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

It's really not that bad...

Being in oil that is...it's really metal to metal contact from the spark plug to the spark plug boot, which is also insulated...

once you change the o-rings, and then screw out the spark plug so the oil can drain down in the cylinders, you'll get a nice cloud of smoke when you start the car lol...

Comment

So are you saying that I wont notice any difference? If thats the case than I dont even know if its worth doing. I might do a new 02 sensor. I have a bosch universal, but I think its crap. I am trying to get a walker,denso,or ngk. Any thoughts on which one? thanks.

Comment

Change the Valve cover gaskets. If you made the effort of making a thread, you should do it! buy it online from one of those 24 hour parts stores, which IMO is all the same 1 store...

Having oily spark plugs means you are not maintaining your Accord. That's all. Like I said, it's metal to metal contact, it's okay. But i suggest you change it so your motor is clean and there is no hassel with oil leaks/oily spark plug tool...It's a mess when you want to change spark plugs later in the future... Represent CB7's...clean.

Well, if the voltage is down in the 02 sensor, change it with a Bosch one. NGK is better, Denso is OEM i believe, or is that Nissan? regardless, just get a replacement 02 sensor, Bosch at Autozone or where you get your car parts from.

If your 02 sensor is bad, the CEL will trip on...but changing it to a new one will get you better values to your MAP sensor, thus will make your car run more efficiently.

Make sure you get a good 02 sensor socket. I prefer Snap-On. They are the best quality IMO.

Last edited by Accord13&BA4; 02-28-2006, 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Use OEM always with O2 sensors and valve cover gaskets. I've only heard bad things about the bosch and denso's that they throw code 1 and 43. I believe NGK makes the O2 sensors for our cars but I would have to check one. As far as the valve cover gasket, I had oil leaking into my spark plug holes and causing a misfire when it was cold. It was nasty and got worse after I would take long trips. When i replaced the seals and plugs, 2 were completely submerged in oil and it drained into the cylinder. The gaskets were hard as a rock and it was almost impossible to remove the cover. Whatever you do, PRY CAREFULLY so you dont damage the cylinder head!

Comment

Well i got it done this morning. Not to hard but the last people that did the work stripped my acorn nut as well as used enough silicon to redo pam anderson. Twice!! All is good now, but I am stil debating the o2. I have no codes but sometimes my car hesitates so bad and runs like crap, other times it wants to take on the world!!! Only thing I can think of is the o2 since zI cleaned all the valves and triple checked for vacuum. And I get really crap mileage. Like 10 to maybe 15 on city driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X