Bad starter/ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad starter/ignition switch

i know my prob isnt the main relay, but im still not sure what it is.

i used to only have the problem when i went for short drives, but it was sitting at work for about 4hours and when i tried to start it, it wouldnt... and it wasnt really hot yet, so i dont think that has anything to do with it.

if the starter is bad or going bad, will the engine:
    1.turn over but not start
    2.produce that starter ticking noise
    3.do absolutely nothing(i get dash lights and all turning on, but the engine does absolutely nothing)... and i DO get the clicking after the cel turns off.

i keep getting told its the ignition switch, but the problem is still so random and its never happened in the presence of my shop friends, so theyre just guessing what it is by what i tell them. i really dont want to spend money on a new ignition if its not the problem.

ok it might be one of the following.
    problems.
    1. fuel main relay.
    it does this only when it's kind of hot outside. if u leave the car alone for 8 hours or less in the sun>>>> then came back and try to start the car>> it won't start. u got to let some cold air so the car can start.
    2.battery.(by experience)
    it might be the battery if u turn the key and hear some clicking noises. everything might work like stereo, flash lights, the lights in the dashboard etc. but the battery might not have the amp to start the car. (just get jamper cables and try that first before doing anything)
    3. altenator
    car cranks but it won't start. then the lights on the dashbord begin to faint away.( might not be ur problem)
    3. ignition swich.
    this is a bad motherf***er. when u start the car it will start but emidietly shot off after u releas the key. if u get that problem then it's the ignition key. ($87 at honda dealer)
    comments: i had all of these problems with my 90 accord ex(fucked up car) if u want u can buy new parts if u into upgrades and R**E etc. but if u only use this car for daily driving and don't wanna put a lot of money in it just go to a junk jard and check for cars that have low miles and get the parts that u will need.
    good luck i hope i helped.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord

3. ignition swich.
      this is a bad motherf***er. when u start the car it will start but emidietly shot off after u releas the key. if u get that problem then it's the ignition key. ($87 at honda dealer)
      comments: i had all of these problems with my 90 accord ex(fucked up car) if u want u can buy new parts if u into upgrades and R**E etc. but if u only use this car for daily driving and don't wanna put a lot of money in it just go to a junk jard and check for cars that have low miles and get the parts that u will need.
      good luck i hope i helped.

i had this problem, now i know its the switch for sure ima change on monday

Comment

ok i had my ignition switch replaced yesterday and that didnt fix anything. tried to start my car this morning and it did the same thing. ive run out of ideas. im 100% sure its not the starter either. yesterday i was having the problem bad. tried for about 5minutes and it wouldnt start. so i kept the key in the on position, and i jumped the starter to the battery... and it started up right away.

what other connections are there between the ignition switch and the starter? and i never have any problems once the car is started.

Comment

i changed mine and it stop the problem, i dont know whats wrong man?

Comment

did it do it again. which part of the swich did u change. u need to change the electrical part of the egnition swich. u need the five whires that for from the key to the fuse box under the steering wheel on the left side.

Comment

yea, thats exactly what i did. i swapped out the wiring onto my existing lock. it happened again this morning, while it was cool in the garage from being in overnight... but it didnt happen at all throughout the day while it was hot. going from place to place i started it 7 times today since i got out of work, and it started right away everytime. its kinda hard to diagnose a problem thats so random.

Comment

Bro, your Accord is tight, just looked at in the Member's Rides to see what tranny you sportin. I dig how you have "winter" tires and you live in CA and both them tires are sports tires.....hilarious, u just looking for an excuse for two sets

Anyways, since you have a manual trans, this means you have to depress the clutch pedal to start your car, it triggers a switch...called the "clutch switch". This works in addition to having the ignition in the on position. Way I guess it, from what you stated I think it's in your starter relay or clutch switch, one of them is not allowing you to complete the circuit or has bad connections.
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

well im sure its not the clutch switch cause ive never had to hold the clutch in to start my car. but is the starter relay different from the main relay?

Comment

short drives heee. ok i used to have the following problem when i use to go for short drives. after i stop for lets say 5 min and try to start the car again nothing would happen.don't know why. then one day i stayed and listen to the car,,, u know what would happen after i stop. i noticed that the condeser fan didn't kick in when it should. i found out that one of the fuses on the engine bay was blown. so check that man.(by the way a manual should come handy when u have this problems,,,because u will know what to check when the car don't start.
                    hope i was helpfull.

Comment

Working...
                    X