shifting out of park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shifting out of park

ok i have an automatic tranny and for a long time its been hard for me to get my car out of park b/c it seems like the shifter shaft is stuck, mostly happens the first time i shift of the day. some ppl get in my car when they work on it and be like how u get it out of park im like u got to pull hard. anything i can do about this i heard of oiling the cable but i have no mechanical skills to reach the cable.

Its been discussed. Some say just lubing the cable will do it. I bought a new cable but haven't had it installed yet.

Some say adjusting the cable may help, but it didn't for me. Mine was already spot on, it just gets stuck towards the 'P' end of the shifter.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

same thing happened with my old cb...but all i did was put the e-brake on before taking my foot off the brake after i put it in park....probably not the same thing but it worked for me because i could barely get it out of park before and then once i started usin the e-brake before letting it sit into park it worked fine.

Comment

^I think that has more to do with the car rolling backwards some while in Park. Yeah that will do it, but thats not the same thing. The problem I think we're discussing is with worn shift cables dragging in the sheath.

Comment

this has happened only once to me and all i did was press the button on the shifter and pull really hard and its been fine ever sience

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
          1992 Accord EX Coupe
          My FS Thread
          Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
          Originally posted by deevergote
          Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

my shift cable was the same but i replaced it and now it shifts out of park very easy

Comment

same exact thing happend to me
              it was really hard to pull out when it was cold, but when it warmed up it was ok.
              i was going to replace it, but didnt around to it, and now the problem has gone away.
              my members ride thread
              check it out if you have time

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=92exrcoupe

Comment

mine only happens during cold weather..

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Mine happens most when cold, it gets worse as the temps go down.

And of course when the car has been sitting.

So, cold=tough shifter

Comment

i may just replace it one day when it gets really hard to pull, right i have a broken thumb on my right hand so its really been hard to pulll out of park and also i have that shorten shift diy mod so its really low which makes it harder to. i think the cable is $140 and i dont no how much for labor but im goin to check it out

Comment

the reason why u should use the ebrake before u take your foot it takes less strain on the gear going intopark to drive better for a tranny and also that problem with the shifting can also be the shift lock but in other cases could be the cable located on the tranny on the edge take the cover off and lubicate the cable and then take off console and lubricate that also and then shift freely while lubricating it should help if not its the parkin lock mechanisim that needs to be replaced

(\__/)
                      (O.o )
                      (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

Originally posted by pretty_ricky302
                        i may just replace it one day when it gets really hard to pull, right i have a broken thumb on my right hand so its really been hard to pulll out of park and also i have that shorten shift diy mod so its really low which makes it harder to. i think the cable is $140 and i dont no how much for labor but im goin to check it out
                        shorten shift mod on an auto??

Comment

Comment

ROFL thats insane....

Comment

looks good...how much that cost ya?

mine also is hard to shift ONLY when cold....
                              Eric
                              www.myspace.com/cb7tuner06

Painted but still "Under Construction"

Comment

Working...
                              X