Finally Cleaned My Egr Ports......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Cleaned My Egr Ports......

well i finally got around to cleaning my egr ports,the only hard part was pulling the pluggs,mine were all very dirty,i also cleaned the screen near the throttle body,tommorrow i will replace the 4 pluggs with the new ones i got from honda,i also cleaned the egr valve.i used an entire bottle of throttle body cleaner on the 4 egr ports,i hope thats not too much,anyways tommorrow i will fire her up and see what a difference that cleaning made.anyone think a hole can of cleaner is too much,i used it all because there was so much gunk,i used a little pick to so hopefully it will fire up.
    Last edited by 91accord4door; 03-06-2004, 07:11 PM.

did it dry? the whole can? damn. once u get it started, drive it around u will see carbon come out of the exuaust...

then change your oil.

so how long did it take you? and what screen by the throttle body?

it may take a while to start if there is still some cleaner inside the system...but it should work.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

it took me about 3 hours but only because i had the wrong slide hammer,i had the claw type i went out bought the screw type.anyways.i drilled a 1/4 hole in each of the 4 pluggs,used my scre gun to screw a screw into the hole i drilled,and then yanked the screw out with the plugg,first i taped the plug down with a screwdriver and hammer to get it loose,that works great because it a lot harder if you dont.but once all the plugs were out i sprayed cleaner down the egr valve hole and the 4 egr ports,i kepte braking up the carbon with a pick,and then sprayed cleaner,i kept doing those steps until it was shiny clean,i am gonna do a little more cleaning tommorrow.i also have to find a way to get air through the passages,i used a vacume over each port,but i have no air compressor,the screen i cleaned was that tiny circle on thats on the iac?i think thats what its called.it to the right of the throttle body.,i just cant wait to see a difference because the ports were so dirty you could not see the holes.oh ya do i have to change my oil...why?

Comment

sine you sprayed all that throttle body cleaner into the system, when that system fires, half of it will be burned but some will get down into the oil, making the oil work hard to neutralize the acids in it. basically shorttening the life of the oil.

you might as well just change the oil after a few runs like a day or 2.

now did the ports just pop out or were they threadded in?

man this would of been a nice DIY at least in basic general. i bet my shit is clogged up...but smog isnt for another year so i wont worry about it now. my rate was a little high, up in the 500ppm range. the limit is 800ppm for the egr NOx.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

no they pop out,but let me tell ya,they are a bitch.at first i couldnt do it for about 30 mins,so i took a small flathead and a hammer and gave each of the ports plugs, a hard(literally) wack.not to hard thought because they will fall into the port.after that theres nothnig to it really.very simple.you have to really slam the hammer though and make shure the screws tip does not go all the way down into the port.but i am proud of what i did.it looks very nice now.its shiny metal and before it was chunky carbon,if you suspect you need it done then do it before it getsbad.well worth it.also icleaned mine becasue it was driving like shit(cant wait to drive it again)plus code 12(egr) cameon once and awhile.if you need more info about it pm me i will give you the step by step.

Comment

yea i remember your EGR problems.

you know u could of saturated the plugs with some wD40 or some bolt breaker to loosen the sides and then it may of been a bit easier.

shit if its that easy then i might as well do it.

did you change the EGR valve or did you just clean it?

Retro!

Hater

Comment

i sprayed cleaner on the plugs,and banged them down,that worked fine,no my egr valve was fine,i did a vacume test on it and it 100%,but i did clean it out really good.ya like i said the hardest part was pulling theplugs and thats not even hard if you do it right.
              Last edited by 91accord4door; 03-05-2004, 02:46 PM.

Comment

when and if i do my a6 intake manifold swap i will clean out the EGR ports since it is used. possibly clean the runners and everything since i will have it out of the car.

good job foo.

you start your car up yet?>

Retro!

Hater

Comment

well i finished my egr ports project today,i am fucking happy,my car drives 100% now,i got more than i expected out of it,i rev the piss out of my motor and white/brownish smoke was everwear and than it went away,it took a couple turns to start but it drives aweosme.i also cleane my icu,throttle body along with my egr ports.i got them very clean and it payed off.after i cleaned the ports i used a an compressor to shoot air through the ports.but all in all i spent $12.00 on parts,(egr gasket),and (egr port plugs?also throttle body cleaner and thats it.takes a little while but i think i will do this every 12,000 miles because it makes my car run mint.
                  by the way all my ports were clogged really bad.

Comment

by the way you need a slide hammer.

Comment

thats cool. beats the hell out of getting "smog" to change the egr. no one will ever clean out the ports, only they will change the EGR.

i was going to do this with my f22a6 manifold swap, but now i have to buy a new 02 sensor so i think its going to have to hold off, and i might clean my egr ports on my car either the summer time or next year.

do you feel acceleration differnce from when your car was funtioning without the egr fuking up?

you should =).

o and wtf is a slide hammer?

i think intervals to do what u have done should be maybe more in the 25k range. build up doesnt occur that often, but do check it at the time that you want it to get an idea on how much carbon builds up over a period of time, then you can set a nice concrete egr cleaning schedule.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

ya acceleration is awsome now.no hesitation at all.i cleaned them really good too.i cant believe thedifference it makes.its hard to explain but i was driving with shitty ports for a year and i thought it was my mounts,i changed my mounts and it was still there.so i cleaned my ports and its just a beautiful thing.car runs great now.a slide hammer is basically a dent puller,it has a weight on it,a screw(or claw) tip,and it pulls shit.

Comment

Can you do a DIY? w/pics if you can? I wanna try this. How was your bad acceleration? Mine, if i have it in like 3rd and its @ 1000rpm(too low for the gear) and i push the gas, it stumbles real bad. Could this be my problem?

Comment

there is a DIY in the DIY forum, look up egr*

Retro!

Hater

Comment

how does the slide hammer look?

i need to do this to my cb7 to pass emissions. lower the n02 rating

is there anyway to do this without the slide hammer?
                              Last edited by theone; 03-08-2004, 11:35 AM.
                              NEED RAP BEATS.....

www.soundclick.com/akcidentaltrakz

Comment

Working...
                              X