Distributor Replacement / Ignition timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributor Replacement / Ignition timing

OK, I know that the proper way to replace or check, fix, whatever ignition timing in the distributor to mark it before you take it out or line the rotor up with #1 TDC. But what is the sense of this when the distributor only goes in one way. If its only one way, how can ign timing be off when you put it back on, it should always be the same. Let me know if Im wrong or missing something in my theory.
    FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
    Pm meX
    I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
    H22A Swap
    I'm 'THE STIG'

I understand all that but if yoy take the dizzy out and the timing is all right, if it goes in one way what would change anything. The dizzy goes in according to where the cam is positioned, how can the dizzy turn and twist like you say.
    Pm meX

MY WHIP
    H22A Swap
    I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Originally posted by CBAccordA4
      I understand all that but if yoy take the dizzy out and the timing is all right, if it goes in one way what would change anything. The dizzy goes in according to where the cam is positioned, how can the dizzy turn and twist like you say.
      As Ricky has already explained, that's what the Timing Adjustment Slots are for otherwise they would be bolted directly to the head by single holes!!
      So it's obvious you don't know "the proper way to replace or check, fix, whatever ignition timing in the distributor" otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

Comment

No, I do know the proper way, just thought that it was useless because of the 10 times I changed a distributor i never bothered marking it or whatever, after I put it back on or a new one on I just advanced or retarded it to where I felt was optimum. So thats why Im askin the question
        Pm meX

MY WHIP
        H22A Swap
        I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Aight, thanx for the info man, I probly just got lucky the other times I've done put the dizzy back on with out lining ip any marks. I'll start lining it up as you enlightened me that i could be doing it at a few degrees off. Thanx. lata
          Pm meX

MY WHIP
          H22A Swap
          I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

So what's wrong with Adjusting the Timing the proper way with a Timing Light, instead of guess work. It may have worked in the good old days of Carby engines with Mechanical Vac Advance Dizzy's, but you can't do it now with Electronically Controlled Advance Dizzy's. The days of Advancing and Retarding the Dizzy by ear are long gone mate, deal with it. If you've got a Timing Light, use it. Then again just do it your way and wait until the engine fucks up through detonation.

Comment

Thanx GURU, even though your sarcastic, I got the message. Glad I asked
              Pm meX

MY WHIP
              H22A Swap
              I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

Working...
              X