Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky kick when I take my foot off throttle

Hey,

My car feels like a new kid trying to learn manual every time I take my foot off the gas. The car kicks. The higher the gear, the less noticible it is...but it's still there.

I drove my other friends 96' 5spd Civic and had no problem. The clutch is fine, no slippage...and I'm just out of ideas. I'm tired of such a jerky ride and looking for a way to fix it.

By the way, when I change gears and shift...there is no jerkyness...any ideas?

Thanks
    2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
    JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
    My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

mine is like that a bit too, i think it has to do with the hydraulic clutch.

Comment

Check the Engine & Transmission Mounts. Make sure they are not loose or flogged out.

Comment

Originally posted by F22-GURU
        Check the Engine & Transmission Mounts. Make sure they are not loose or flogged out.
        I think it may have something to do with timing or the fuel. Mine has done it lately also since I have been having some annoying problems. Its not all the time, but jerky once it hits a certain rpm and you are off of the gas (like 1500'ish), it feels like you suddenly get 50% more engine braking. Then when you go to re-apply the gas, it stops the extra engine breaking giving you a little jerk.

Comment

The symptoms aero is describing apply to my car too. I was thinking it was the engine mounts. Aero, what makes you think it might be the fuel or timing? I'm not really qualified to diagnose this myself.
          - Ghosty
          WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
          FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

i think its normal...considering a manual car is more "manual" the controls are more personal.

so taking your foot off the gas would just shut the butterfly on the TB

i mean, 3 of my mounts are polyurethaned and the tranny mount is good.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
              i think its normal...considering a manual car is more "manual" the controls are more personal.

so taking your foot off the gas would just shut the butterfly on the TB

i mean, 3 of my mounts are polyurethaned and the tranny mount is good.
              but it does it once, then the engine bogs a little more, and it totally grabs ya. It hasnt done it before.

As far as thinking its the engine/fuel, you can just tell, a loose something would give you some kind of clank or sound, this is totally engine tune changing a little when it does it. I havent played around with timing or anything, but do notice I am running a bit rich, and not getting as good gas mileage, i think it may be an 02 sensor since I throw a code 1 when I totally bog the car down (3rd gear at 1500 in traffic), so i dunno.

Comment

This situation has to be diagnosed a little further check your mounts if you do something else i think its just the mounts though or your driving skill being that you said you was jsut learning.

Comment

Mine does this and it's embarrassing. It makes the most experienced and skillful driver look n00bish. =( I was thinking along the lines of fuel, but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                  This situation has to be diagnosed a little further check your mounts if you do something else i think its just the mounts though or your driving skill being that you said you was jsut learning.
                  He said, "My car feels like a new kid trying to learn manual...."

Comment

my car has done this before too. it is imbarasing and becomes very anoying after a while. i just messed around with my throttle cable a bit and fixed the problem about 90%

Comment

Could be fuel filter if the cutoff is that drastic. Time for a good tune up. I'd recommend o2 sensor, fuel filter, etc...

Comment

Thanks guys,

I'll mess with the throttle cable...

I dont think it's because it's a stick, I've driven other peoples car before and had no such problem...

Any other possible ideas?
                        2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                        JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                        My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Originally posted by TheTempest
                          Thanks guys,

I dont think it's because it's a stick, I've driven other peoples car before and had no such problem...

Yeah, its not the driver since mine also just started doing it. I changed fuel filter, i'll see if it makes a difference in the AM. Does by any chance your car while high idling cold in the morning drop the idle for a split second and then get back to going? mine does. guess we'll see.

Comment

Yes, but if any mounts are loose or flogged out it will only exacerbate the problem. If you eliminate the Mounts from the equation you can concentrate on other areas, if the problem is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTempest
                              Thanks guys,

dont you have a chipped p28? it could definitly be your tune

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Working...
                              X