Battery or alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery or alternator

I own a 90 LX 5 spd and had to jump it cause its been sittin for a minute.So after lettin it run and warm up I turned it off,and not even one minute later no juice whatsoeever,wont even beep sayin the keys are in ignition........?So is that alt. ,batt., or whatelse?thanx

Hustle Hard! This is a design of some gear I've been workin on.

Sounds like the battery. If the car starts up after jumping, but the battery light doesn't come on, then the battery isn't holding a charge. If you can drive the car around for awhile and the battery light comes on and the car dies, then it's the alternator. You can take it to Autozone and have it tested for free or for a small charge. Can't remember which tho...

True story, I drove my first car around for a short time after I first got it, came to a stop sign and noticed the RPM and speed needles jumping like crazy. Eventually they stopped moving, period. As in they both read 0 when I was moving. When I went to take off, the car sputtered and coughed and wouldn't rev at all. BTW, the battery light was on the whole time. Now THAT was the alternator.
    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

lol, masamune, i had the SAME symptoms (speedo and tach and coughing and sputtering) and mine was the battery, weird eh?

Comment

Originally posted by sj960
        lol, masamune, i had the SAME symptoms (speedo and tach and coughing and sputtering) and mine was the battery, weird eh?
        Well in the end it was actually both on mine. The alternator not working drained the battery so many times that it stopped holding a charge. I've been known to be wrong before, but I'm fairly confident that the alternator is the problem your voicing (sj960).

My battery ruling still stands as the main problem though.
        Last edited by Masamune; 02-09-2006, 11:28 PM.
        Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
        D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
        ┴─┴
        ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

well right now sitting as is it should be the battery since it doesn't even beep when the key's in the ignition.. the battery is used for start up and the alternator is to keep the car charged when it's already running.. so if your cars not starting it's the battery.. but like the guy said earlier, it could be both.. the alternator may have gone bad and already drained the battery cause the car would have to run off straight battery for a while which would drain the charge

JDM H22a DOHC VTEC
          My Ride

Comment

Check them both, and if possible replace them both just to be sure. the last thing you want is to be caught dead in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a dying cellphone to keep you company...That happened to me once. My alternator was bad and like the previous comments/replies It did the sputter and all that stuff,you see I bought a new battery before this all happened so that sure narrowed it all down to one problem.

PROJECT: EIEN (Eternity, Endless) in progress...

"What's the point of a race?- Just means you're faster...that's all. If I have to race, it should be for something important..."

"What Is A Man Who Cannot Prosper and Better What He Owns?"

Comment

Read this
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=40128

Comment

thanx GURU, and everyone else,I read that but it means nothing to a technical tart,sorry?!?

Hustle Hard! This is a design of some gear I've been workin on.

Comment

Working...
                X