Question on ignition timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on ignition timing

I had to remove my distributer to replace the sealing o-ring. According to the manuals (Honda, Chiltons, and Haynes) I am supposed to check and adjust the timing as necessary. I understand from the manuals the basics of adjusting the timing, but it is unclear on exactly what indications tell you to adjust it (I am exposing my "green-ness" by asking this kind of stuff). The pointer is pointing very close to the top line of the three lines, not at all close to the center red line. Should the pointer be directly or as close as possible to the red line?
    Last edited by nukejr; 01-30-2006, 05:36 PM.

The pointer should match the red line, but maybe people can answer me this:
    How do you determine the angle you should look at the pointer? If you move your head up or down looking at it, you are setting the timing different... anyone?

Comment

The pointer is setup like the sights on a pistol. You have to get the correct line of sight to get the pointer in the middle of the notch!

Thanks for the info though, I am going to adjust it right now!

Comment

nuke you live in stuart!? me too, where at? I'm at the corner of cove road and old dixie hwy.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
        where you been, is something wrong?
        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

So no one knows which "line of sight" you should take to correctly get the view on timing?

Comment

Yeah 90* to Pointer

Comment

When you look at the pointer there are two parts to it...well 3 if you include the 15 deg. BTDC line. I made a "key" below (ignore = signs, pay attention to rest).

INSTRUCTIONS:

Pointer # 1 has to be in the middle of pointer # 2...THEN both pointers #1-2 should line horizontally with the 15 deg BTDC line (middle of the 3 lines...the other two stand for +/- 2 deg ... or 13 & 17 deg. BTDC). If you follow these instructions, you WILL know you are looking at the pointers/15 deg BTDC line correctly. This is what I like about Hondas, for the most part they designed their cars to be worked on and make things idiot proof. You can tell they thought things out.

15 deg BTDC line = --

pointer # 1 = -

pointer # 2 = >

Diagram of what you should get:

-- ->
              Last edited by HondaFan81; 01-31-2006, 09:09 AM.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                When you look at the pointer there are two parts to it...well 3 if you include the 15 deg. BTDC line. I made a "key" below (ignore = signs, pay attention to rest).

INSTRUCTIONS:

Pointer # 1 has to be in the middle of pointer # 2...THEN both pointers #1-2 should line horizontally with the 15 deg BTDC line (middle of the 3 lines...the other two stand for +/- 2 deg ... or 13 & 17 deg. BTDC). If you follow these instructions, you WILL know you are looking at the pointers/15 deg BTDC line correctly. This is what I like about Hondas, for the most part they designed their cars to be worked on and make things idiot proof. You can tell they thought things out.

15 deg BTDC line = --

pointer # 1 = -

pointer # 2 = >

Diagram of what you should get:

-- ->

Huh?

Comment

Yea cisco u def lost me there too.... im about to take fuckin square to the block and make sure im lookin at it right, lol

Comment

Working...
                  X