Oil type for JDM H22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil type for JDM H22

I'm going to have to change my oil in a few hundred miles, and I don't know what type I should use. I always took my car to the Texaco station down the street and paid them $28 to change the oil and check my fluids. I want to start doing it myself now, since I plan on getting a lot closer to the H22 than I did to the F22.

Should I use a synthetic oil, or regular oil? Any recommendations on brands? I don't push my car too hard, but I do push it harder than I did when I had the F22.

Personally, I go with either Mobil 1 or Castrol. Definately go with synthetic. 10w-30
    Natalie

Comment

Cool, thanks! I was thinking Mobil 1, but I wasn't sure it that was because it's heavily advertised, or because it has a good reputation. TV doesn't always tell the truth. It's much better to hear it from someone with a similar engine!

And now for the stupid question... I'm sure I can learn this easily enough online, but since I feel I can trust the information I get here, here goes. How much do I put in?
      Last edited by deevergote; 08-23-2003, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I use Castrol Synthetic simply because it looks less burnt and sludge-like everytime I change the oil when compared to non-synthetic. So I may not be seing any major benefits from using it, but my mind is at ease and that's worth the money to me. You are fine using regular oil and your fine using synthetic or synthetic-blended oils so pick whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. I gladly pay the $4-5 a qt so that I can sleep well at night It's up to you

My Accord History:
        91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Go with Mobil 1 5w-30 Sync. + Mobil 1 filter..
          Thats what I use for my F22A1.
          1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
          2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
          3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
          4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
          5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

there have been reports that mobil 1 oil filter is too restrictive, it filters well though....i say a standard oil filter and a oil for ur budget will do, if not mobil one super synthetic, then a regular dino like chevron, or penzoil is my choice..
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I prefer using filters with Teflon like the Fram Tough Guard series. Haven't heard that about the Mobil filtesr tho.

My Accord History:
              91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

hehe there are alot of crap about frams. people say that their filter can be better, they use cardboard end caps not metal. only very few has failed...but you can figure, your money can go elsewhere for better.

but this forum is about oil not filters haha
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

I was gonna ask about filters eventually anyway! I figure there must be a high end and a low end, but I know nothing about filters either. The only car I've ever changed oil on was my 87 Shadow ES, over 3 years ago. I just bought the cheapest stuff I could find at Pep Boys for that. I always took my Accord to Texaco's Star Lube for as long as I owned it. If regular oil would be ok, I might just continue to do that. At least until I get a decent set of jack stands, a nice hydraulic jack, and a few tools...

I'm just afraid they'll mess something up by putting the wrong stuff in! Would JDM H22 engines need different oil than USDM ones? I suppose I could just tell them that it's a 94 Prelude engine, and they would put the proper oil in for that.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks! (It's good to see that the site is back up!)

Now, does the oil filter really make a difference, or will anything they give me be alright? Anything was fine for my F22, but I really didn't care too much for that engine, nor did I push it as hard as I do the H22.

Comment

Ok, cool. I'll just continue to have it done for me (at least this time) and I think they use Fram. That's what I would use normally anyway.

Comment

Fram, PureONE (purolator)... I think cleans up to 6 microns, or Reg. Purlator brand are good, if you really want go buy Honda oil filter < too much for the same job.
                        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

pricing on oil filters:

Reg. purolator I found cheapest at $2.99 at Sears.

PureONE (purolator - 6 micron) - $4.99 at Meijers

WalMart, carries FRAM (I forget the price) probably between $3-5

just FYI
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

i've always used valvoline in my h22a. i don't use synthetic even tho i'm already making more than 200whp....its just not worth it for daily driving applications.....now when i'm prepping to go to the track, i change the oil w/ synthetic a day or two before i race and do an oil change right after.

and i always use a honda filter
                            My reality is greater than the sum of its parts...

Comment

o dear look who made it LOLZ its ultra!! hahah we got hella rebbles from sho.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                              X