Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H22A timing advanced 2 degrees. Lumpy powerband (bogs) around 3000rpm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22A timing advanced 2 degrees. Lumpy powerband (bogs) around 3000rpm.

I bumped my ignition timing by about 2 degrees the other day to see what the result would be. Turns out the high end is decent, as expected. However, VTEC hits harder, and there's a definite bog around 3000rpm. I've felt it as low as 2800 and as high as 3200. It can be felt almost as a pulling sensation.

Now, I haven't replaced my cap and rotor... ever... since I got the motor. Could that be the problem? Or could it be something else? I plan on setting the timing back to stock tomorrow to be safe.

Also, I reset my ECU in hopes that would do something. No dice there.

Hmm.. mine bogs sometimes when it goes into vtec. WEeird.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      I bumped my ignition timing by about 2 degrees the other day to see what the result would be. Turns out the high end is decent, as expected. However, VTEC hits harder, and there's a definite bog around 3000rpm. I've felt it as low as 2800 and as high as 3200. It can be felt almost as a pulling sensation.

Now, I haven't replaced my cap and rotor... ever... since I got the motor. Could that be the problem? Or could it be something else? I plan on setting the timing back to stock tomorrow to be safe.

Also, I reset my ECU in hopes that would do something. No dice there.
      May all be in the Ignition and Fuel Mapping. The ECU would be still mapping for Standard Timing. That extra 2 degrees may be enough for the ECU to cause a slight midrange bog.
      Have a talk to MRX he is more clued in to the ECU Tuning Side of things.

BTW: What OCTANE are you running?

Here's a few little minor tweaks I've done to my F22A5

Advanced the Ignition Timing 2 deg
      Run Shell Optimax 98 RON with Wynns Octane Booster (Adds 2-4 Octane Points).
      Fitted NGK Iridiums
      Modified Stock Intake Setup and put in a K & N Slab Filter.
      Fitted a New Fuel Filter.
      Dizzy is New & Ignition Wires in Good Order.
      Given the Injectors a Wynns OnCar Injector Clean.
      I add Wynns Injector Cleaner Supplement every five tank fills.
      Cleaned out the Throttle Body with Wynns Throttle Body Cleaner
      Decarboned the Engine with Wyns Carbon Blaster (Good Shit).
      Changed Engine Oil to Pennzoil 5W50 100% Full Synthetic
      Gave the A/T a complete flush with my Wynns Transerve II Fluid Exchange Machine using 6.0 litres of Genuine Honda ATF.
      Minor adjustment to the Kickdown Throttle Cable to increase the A/T Pressure Slightly, but safely, so I get higher shift points. Gives a bit of a kick from 1st to 2nd.

All these add up to a nice little power increase and I definately have noticed a difference in my Off Line Acceleration and Midrange Kickback.

Comment

Damn thats what my car has been doing. I'm slow lol I could never figure out why it does that. Not really a bog but more a pulling feeling. Hope someone has an answer.
        Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
        registration is free

Comment

Geoff,
          I'm running 93 octane (the best you can get here) I still have the stock P13 ECU that came with the JDM H22. I DO have a P28, but cp[mike] has been 'chipping' it (rather, sitting on it ) for months now. NGK Irridiums are indexed (all but one), and NGK blue wires are in good shape. My intake is an AEM cold air made for a Prelude (so right for my motor). I can try boosting the octane and see if that helps. Changing the cap and rotor won't hurt either, I'm sure You're probably right about the fuel and ignition mapping. I just figured that the stock tolerances are +-2 degrees, so a 2 degree advance should keep it operating somewhat stock.

koolkoreanked, if your timing is advanced (or you don't know where it's set) you should put it back to stock. Timing lights aren't too expensive. At least until you can identify the problem (it may or may not be the same as mine) you're safest at stock settings!

Comment

A tune-up wouldn't hurt if you have one.

Also, yea wait or ask MRX for advice on the ECU tuning aspect and he can probably tell you off the bat what a H22 stock ECU runs in terms of AFR around that 2800-3200 RPM range (I'm thinking it's too rich at that point and causing that boggging).

First ask MRX, but I want to say bumping up the fuel pressure 2-3 psi may help if you don't have access to or ability to modify your fuel maps at that RPM range.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

koolkoreanked, if your timing is advanced (or you don't know where it's set) you should put it back to stock. Timing lights aren't too expensive. At least until you can identify the problem (it may or may not be the same as mine) you're safest at stock settings!
              lol it doesn't matter now... The motor is getting taken apart to be sent to golden eagle so they can do their thing and soon (summer time) I'll have my boosted h22 making some high ass numbers(400+whp). Then its time to sell the car and start on a new one.
              Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
              registration is free

Comment

odd...intresting note I think is that my car is faster w/o vtec hitting as hard. I've found that 15* BTDC is the best timing for my motor, the powerband is most smooth.

Just thought I'd add my two cents.
                2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

i wish i could get 93, i can only get 91 here.
                  H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

How does your car run with 91?

Comment

perfect, ive never had any problems.. :P
                      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Damn, thats cool, ive been driving across town just to run 93, guess I can get gas across the street from my apartment now!

Comment

Geoff,
                          I'm running 93 octane (the best you can get here) !
                          You poor bastards! 93 is the best.
                          You blokes would be pulling yourselves if you could get into the Optimax.
                          So we are privelidged in OZ, then again our Emission Laws aren't as strict as the US.
                          93 RON is only 2 Points above Standard ULP Here and that's shit.
                          We are starting to get Shell Optimax Ultra 100 RON in OZ now
                          Sorry to Rub it in fellas.

Can you get Wynns Octane Booster in the US?

I had a drive of my mates H22A and ATM my I reckon my Off Line Acceleration is quicker than the H22A. I reckon if he got off his arse and re-tuned it properly it would go a bit better. Wouldn't hurt him to get a H22 TCU
                          too.
                          I'll be Putting my Headers & Hi-Flow Cat( ) on soon, will be even better then
                          Last edited by F22-GURU; 01-27-2006, 06:39 PM.

Comment

My friend's F22A1 with IHE is pretty good off the line... the low end is impressive.

My motor also seemed smoothest at 15*. I might try 16 to see if it's any good... if not, back to 15 for me!

As for Wynn's products, I've never seen any. If they exist, they aren't on the shelves of my usual haunts!

Comment

Well then, What if I talk to my Pennzoil/Wynns Rep and see if he can do a special deal on a box of Wynns Octane Booster for me. If i can get enough requests for some I may be able to ship some off in bulk to you. That will cut down on shipping costs. If you guys like the stuff I can keep supplying it.

Comment

Working...
                              X