Oil pan problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pan problems

My oil drain plug has its threads stripped due to the hundreds of oil changes the car has seen in its 16 year old life (not mentioning that there are only 4 threads within the drain plug). My mechanic used a drain plug fix kit for now. Also, you know that the downpipe connecting to the exhaust manifold is about an inch below the oil pan. Due to heat, this area of the oil pan will deteriorate and may even crack like in my case. Correct me here, the oil pans will have to be replaced eventually?

Originally posted by fac90
    the oil pan will have to be replaced eventually?
    correct...
    RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Yes.. unfortunately, they are made of thin metal and the 60-80 oil changes that's prolly been performed on a 90-93 take their toll. Honda offers a drain plug repair kit that you thread in and use a smaller bolt in place of the original. As far as it cracking.. that's definately a new one.

Comment

simple fix i know this is an old thred but moroso offers a stainless oil pan for the f series

the build and demise
        buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

Happened to me the other day, my buddy has a "re-threader". I'm sure this isn't the technical term but he just wratched it in and out and my drain plug went right in.

Aaron
          If any one knows of someone looking to buy a Mazda, Subaru, Audi or Porsche please drop me a line.

Comment

One thing that would prolong the life of those threads, is to use a new aluminum washer at every change. I don't think anyone does that though, not even me.

My swap thread
            Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92
              One thing that would prolong the life of those threads, is to use a new aluminum washer at every change. I don't think anyone does that though, not even me.
              you should always replace the crush washer correct. but the best way to prevent stripping is to tighten the plug with a torque wrench. If you don't want to, remember: it's not holding a friggin wheel to the car!! It's not really exhibiting much pressure either. tighten it snug.. that's it. I never torque mine down and it's never fallen off while driving down the road...

Comment

there is a kit sold by MATCO tools,, also buy insert from them as well ,, i have repaired quite a few oil pan with stripped bolts,, , you drill it to a bigger size, tap it, install insert, put new pan plug ,, the kit comes with instructions,, i also install a quick release spring loaded valve , this way you never again have to remove the drain plug, just flip the little lever over and the oil will drain.....

I get the valves from FUMOTO ENGENEERING ,, ,http://www.fumotousa.com/main.htm....
                Nice Asses I Like
                Smart asses I don't

Comment

oooops forgot,,,,,,,,,your car you need a F-106 valve..
                  Nice Asses I Like
                  Smart asses I don't

Comment

Just another though. Part of the oil pan is corroded above the exhaust pipe, probably due to the heat. Is it possibe for the oil to catch fire if it touches the exhaust pipe after the car is shutoff? Which direction does the return oil flow within th oil pan?

Comment

I hate to bring up old threads but Id rather post here because this is my problem. My oil pan drain plug threads are stripped also. Can I just re-tap it with an M14x1.5 tap and use an oversized M14x1.5 bolt?

If you dont recommend this, what would be the best solution? Deserthonda didnt put links to this "kit" from Matco that he was talking about and I cant find any "kit" like he is talking about. I have found the M14x1.5 tap on their site though for $10.20. I cannot find this size tap ANYWHERE locally..either hardware stores OR automotive stores.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Just retap it with the current size and get a new OEM plug. I wouldn't reccomend try to retap to a large size without drilling out the old threads and moving up large enough.
                          1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
                          2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

I wasnt going to retap to a larger size. M14x1.5 is the original size.

Comment

Working...
                            X