spark hitting CAI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark hitting CAI

i just found the solution to one of my problems in another thread i started..just wanted to know if you have had the problem of a spark jumping from the boot of the spark plug wire where it connects to the distributor ..to the CAI and causing it to hesitate the engine...
    the reason teh CAI is so close to teh distributor is the bypass valve i installed on..
    i would have thought those boots would have more insulation..oh well..electrical tape saves the day again! .
    i guess im gonna tape all the ends..and hope my ground kit comes in soon...
    fuck i just got shocked..i didnt think the spark wouldnt hurt that much..LOL....
    i do have one question tho... why when i have it in idle or park...there is no spark hitting the CAI.causing rough hesitation.. but when have it in D4 the spark jumps from the boot to the CAI..does the car produce more power when its in drive?...what would cause it to shoot sparks in d4..but not idle or park...is it because the transmission is engaged?... ? .

[IMG][/IMG]

u wont get shocked if the cars off so fix it well the car is off ok

Comment

i've had that problem with my short ram....

it would make my car "hiccup" at idle

Comment

I had the same intake years ago. It was not so close to the Dizzy... . Um, try cutting a peice of it by the bypass so it can be drawn closer into the the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by pretty_ricky302
          u wont get shocked if the cars off so fix it well the car is off ok
          newb

i said i got shocked..im just gonna wrap the ends with electrical tape. so the spark wont take the path of least resistance.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the spark is not as strong at idle as it is under full load when driving.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerAccord
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but the spark is not as strong at idle as it is under full load when driving.
              im thinking the voltage changes..because the tranny is engaged..not sure tho.

i guess its time to invest in a multimeter..

i mean when i put it in d4 the sparks jumping
              but idle..and park...no jumping..
              Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 12-16-2005, 10:41 PM.

Comment

just have a buddy hit the throttle while you hold the wire and tell us what you think. NEW DIY, homemade Voltmeter!!!!

Comment

instead of rapping each boot

Why not Wrap the electrical tape or a peice of rubber hose fitting around the intake to stop flow at that point ??
                  I dont know that im getting any spark on my Short Ram but it is touching the wires makes me wanna see if it is now , question is who is my ginnie pig to touch it while i rev motor LMAO
                  -Sean- Noxidea
                  Fore Sale" My Ride "Best Time To Date 14.9 @ 94 MPH ...

Comment

all i did was wrap my ends with electrical tape..and pulled the spark plug wired...away from the CAI using repositioning using the spark plug wire holder....

shit i feel like i gained 8 HP'S!!! damn i dont know how long this short was there
                    but my throttle response is back to normal..and my car is running smoother than it has in a long time..since i have corrected the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerAccord
                      just have a buddy hit the throttle while you hold the wire and tell us what you think. NEW DIY, homemade Voltmeter!!!!

damn thats so wrong. kinda like telling a friend to lick his fingers to check for 12v......what? I didn't know he would really do it
                      always out numbered never out gunned..

Comment

So you wrapped the CAI with tape? Or you put tape around the plugs? My CAI isn't close enough to be touching, nor do I ever see sparks, but I think I may be suffering from this or something similiar.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                        where you been, is something wrong?
                        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

just be careful a shock from a spark plug wire could be fatal. it only takes 50 milleamps to stop the a heart. there is enough going through any one of those to kill you many times over. you must have gotten a little shock. later.
                          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                            just be careful a shock from a spark plug wire could be fatal. it only takes 50 milleamps to stop the a heart. there is enough going through any one of those to kill you many times over. you must have gotten a little shock. later.
                            you knwo half of the pie, however you seeme to rudely forget the voltage required for 50 miliamps to kill. 12 volts wont surge into the human, body, then again spark plugs are much higher voltage, however less than 50 miliamps.
                            To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Did somebody actually suggest that voltage be measured at the IGNITION COIL SECONDARY? Wow... good luck with that...dozens of kilovolts to play with there...

That's not even the real problem anyway. The car runs without misfires I'm assuming so don't blame spark. Insufficient insulation is the problem. If you can't fix that, then take away the tension between wherever the spark is coming from, and the CAI pipe. Do this by ungrounding it from the car. If you have a support bolted on, this would be your grounding point on the pipe. Just do whatever you have to to make sure you don't get continuity between the pipe and the rest of the car's metal.

Comment

Working...
                              X