OIL LEAK! help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OIL LEAK! help!

Hey guys allright my car has two problem now.. I noticed this morning that there is a golf ball size oil spot underneath my car plus it uses a little oil. It also smokes a little. What could be my problem?? i think my O2 sensor is going out but i don't think that it would use as much oil as it is for being just an O2 sensor.. could it be rings? my brother got every seal replaced in his motor for $150 (87 Accord LXI) im thinking about taking it to that guy and getting the seals replaced but what else could be the problem since it also smokes and uses a little oil?
    R.I.P. Landon Hilburn 06-27-08

Soon to enter the family.
    CG Coupe!

92 Accord EX Sedan (Newest project)

Members ride thread 92 EX Sedan
    Members ride thread old 91 LX Coupe

check valve cover..

Comment

What do you mean? as in check to see if the seal is ok? if so then it is.. There is no oil around the top of the motor..

CG Coupe!

Comment

Where is the oil leak comming from?

Can you visually see any damp spots?

Comment

wat color smokes? internal leakage can cause smoke or mayb is the oil. pan gasket is leak, i still ahve that problem and it leak on the floor like a golf size ball too.

MY 1n2 CB7

Comment

yea that looks like what it is also it smokes a little but i think thats the o2 sensor, also it looks like my tranny leaks, i just went outside to look at it closer and the whole seal around the tranny is wet... Time for a 5spd swap... i was going to lower my car on the 7th but now i think im going to buy a tranny.. my buddy has one for $300 or $350 can't remmeber correctly.. The place here wants $450 to do the swap, thats not including the tranny.. Is that a good price or should i look around?, for mu lunch break at work i think im going to run over to a different place and check out their prices..

CG Coupe!

Comment

Originally posted by blackedout
              yea that looks like what it is also it smokes a little but i think thats the o2 sensor, also it looks like my tranny leaks, i just went outside to look at it closer and the whole seal around the tranny is wet...
              I dont think a faulty o2 sensor would make the car smoke.
              Are you getting any engine codes?

Where exactly is the leak comming from?
              Is it comming from under the timing belt area?
              Around the Oil pan?

Also since you say that your tranny is wet, check your fluid level.
              Make sure its up to spec, also try to see if you notice any loss of shifting performance.

Originally posted by blackedout
              Time for a 5spd swap... i was going to lower my car on the 7th but now i think im going to buy a tranny.. my buddy has one for $300 or $350 can't remmeber correctly.. The place here wants $450 to do the swap, thats not including the tranny.. Is that a good price or should i look around?, for mu lunch break at work i think im going to run over to a different place and check out their prices..
              Do you know theres more to a 5-speed swap than just the tranny?

$450 doesnt seem bad. Thats if they include all the parts, which i dont think.
              I think thats only labor.

Try to shop around.
              Also, try to take care of that leak before you lower your car or think about the 5-speed swap.

Comment

well I had a oil leak myself two weeks ago but I fixed it.. umm the thing with my ride was the oil pressure sender. it was cracked and causing oil to hit the exhaust which put out a little smoke. which could be your problem and if it is its a easy fix I paid $8.95 for the new sending unit... but hey about the 5spd swap any excuse for that is a good one.
                always out numbered never out gunned..

Comment

if there is oil under the car, check near timing cover, and oil pan (either oil pan isself or drain plug). as to smoke....could be rings. but also replace valve cover gasket and upper/lower tube seals!
                  My members ride thread

Comment

He's right about the leak, try that stuff ^^^. As for the 5 Speed swap: its not gonna help your oil leak! Jk, but 450 Is a good price because I've been quoted more than that around here. Expect to pay 500+ dollars for parts though, including pedals, clutch parts, cluster, linkage, starter, axle, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE
                      I dont think a faulty o2 sensor would make the car smoke.
                      Are you getting any engine codes?

Where exactly is the leak comming from?
                      Is it comming from under the timing belt area?
                      Around the Oil pan?

Also since you say that your tranny is wet, check your fluid level.
                      Make sure its up to spec, also try to see if you notice any loss of shifting performance.

Do you know theres more to a 5-speed swap than just the tranny?

$450 doesnt seem bad. Thats if they include all the parts, which i dont think.
                      I think thats only labor.

Try to shop around.
                      Also, try to take care of that leak before you lower your car or think about the 5-speed swap.

The leak is coming from around the oil pan, and my civic smoked like a freight train then i put a new o2 sensor in and it stopped it, thats why im kinda thinking its the o2 sensor,
                      Originally posted by wrichards2005
                      He's right about the leak, try that stuff ^^^. As for the 5 Speed swap: its not gonna help your oil leak! Jk, but 450 Is a good price because I've been quoted more than that around here. Expect to pay 500+ dollars for parts though, including pedals, clutch parts, cluster, linkage, starter, axle, etc.

No its $350 for the tranny, $250 for labor and around $200-$300 for the parts... I have allready checked it... thats everything, clutch assembly, pedals, linkage, etc, etc.. a

CG Coupe!

Comment

ok so ithe OP gasket isn't helping your car retain oil, so next time you do a change, may as well swap on a new seal... and if the tranny is wet btwn it and the block -- its prob the rear main seal - which, if you're getting a tranny swap - you may as well have changed at that time, b.c. separating the two components is the only way to get to that seal anyway

O2 sensors have nothing to do with oil consumption, per se, as a car doesn't really use oil in the way it uses fuel - oil is kept in a closed system as your coolant and brake fluid, ps fluid, etc. are, respectively - but you're right that it MAY be the culprit in your smoke problem, but in that case i'd also check when the last time your cat was changed, b/c that could cause the smoke too (i just watched mine burn up like neon about a week ago - NOT GOOD)

although normally a faulty O2 sensor would throw a CEL - which is why id be more inclined to diagnose bad seals/ seepage somewhere in the system be it external such as an OP gasket, or internal like rings or the pressure sender, like f22a6x mentioned... and in all this im assuming your smoke is black and smells like dirty and oil

is your oil light on by chance?
                        Last edited by i'm the girl; 12-17-2005, 04:02 PM.

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

Don't count out the Oil Pressure Sending Unit. When it goes bad it will spray ALL OVER -> Hits the Exhaust and smokes. I had this problem and ten minutes later and $10 it was all gone. If I remember correctly it is above the oil filter by about 6 inches.
                          If any one knows of someone looking to buy a Mazda, Subaru, Audi or Porsche please drop me a line.

Comment

Originally posted by i'm the girl
                            is your oil light on by chance?
                            No its not on but the check engine light comes on sometimes..
                            Originally posted by dubdealer
                            Don't count out the Oil Pressure Sending Unit. When it goes bad it will spray ALL OVER -> Hits the Exhaust and smokes. I had this problem and ten minutes later and $10 it was all gone. If I remember correctly it is above the oil filter by about 6 inches.
                            No i don't think thats it.. it doesn't look like it at all. I just got a new header and it doesn't look like oil's been on it at all..

CG Coupe!

Comment

I have the same problem to though when I had an oil change it quit doing that for a while (you know the golf ball size leak and the smoke) but now it's back my car's leak is under the timing belts... I don't know what to do...help...?

PROJECT: EIEN (Eternity, Endless) in progress...

"What's the point of a race?- Just means you're faster...that's all. If I have to race, it should be for something important..."

"What Is A Man Who Cannot Prosper and Better What He Owns?"

Comment

Working...
                              X