still getting bad gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still getting bad gas mileage

Well a few weeks ago, i took my car into honda because i smelled a gas smell coming through the vents when i started my car when it was really cold. And while it was there, i made a list from this site of what stuff to check when your having bad MPG. They surprisingly said everything was fine(most dealers usually they make stuff up that you need), but they recomended a tune-up since i was overdue for that.

The only thing they said that might be causing bad gas mileage was my cold air intake. But i've always heard the CAI will improve or eqaul the same MPG as a stock intake

I just want to fix my bad mileage problem
    Last edited by 97Lude; 12-02-2005, 10:28 PM.

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
    www.maketradefair.com

well a tune up would most likely help espically if your over due for one... the only way i can see your CAI affecting your gas mileage is if your at WOT most of the time just to hear it... thats all i can think of?

Comment

thats the thing, i NEVER floor my car to WOT, like its been months.

www.maketradefair.com

Comment

i took off the short ram i had for winter, and put the stock air box back on.. the loss of power and noise made me want to cry. my milage got worse when the cold came. i dont know how cold it gets where you live, but a CAI + freezing temperatures may be messing with it.

Comment

I know you have probably said this before, but what new things have you tried since you started getting bad gas mileage.

02 sensor?
          Injector/fuel system cleaner
          seafoam?

When i installed a CAI, gas mileage went up... the car has to try less to get air into it.

Comment

i tried those but seafoam. I'm trying to remember the list i gave them, it also had sparkplugs,timing, and i forget what else.

My car use to get almost 400 a tank on a good day, now its just about 300

www.maketradefair.com

Comment

I have the same problem as you. I was getting 400 plus per tank. My mpg started going down as soon as the cold started so that may be a contributing factor. I would do the tune up and then go from there.
              Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
              registration is free

Comment

hmm, yeah 300 no good

engine making any funny noises? brakes dragging or anything?

Comment

well the bad MPG started in the begining of fall, so its not the cold i know that. My rear right brake sqeeks alot when you i break, but thats only been going on for the past week, and im getting all 4 pads replaced.

I did get the tune up, and it didn't really help the gas issue.
                  I really need to figure this out, one of the main reason i bought a honda was for good gas mileage

The only engine mods i have are the exhaust and CAI with K&N filter. Thats it

www.maketradefair.com

Comment

plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil change, air filter (if dirty), o2 sensor, valve lash adjustment, flush coolant, proper tire pressure, alignment, fuel injector cleaner, and seafoam are best bets.....if do all that and you still bad gas mileage?!?!?....i dunno lol if u smell gas on start up there could be a freaky leak somewhere. but u would also smell it when warm too right?
                    My members ride thread

Comment

Sometimes my car smells like gas if I step on the gas while I crank the engine, either that or if I fill the tank and drive it hard. Have you had the timing adjusted? That will make or break gas mileage.

Comment

what do u mean by brake dragging? and how can u tell??

aren't pads always somewhat in contact w/ the rotors?

i do a lot fo city driving and i haven't really tested my MPG or how much I get on a full tank but i get a little over 300 or so. sometimes less, though i dont wait till needle to drop that low. i think it is just the nature of things, when things are old. ??
                        hahahahah

Comment

what type of seafoam should i get? is it 100% safe

www.maketradefair.com

Comment

ins't there only 1 avail? the other one is the trans tune one.

get the regular one. alot of peopel swear by it, but i really don't think it'll cure ur problem, but maybe.
                            hahahahah

Comment

Is it 5-speed or Automatic?
                              Autos usually have lower MPG than stick shift.

I think the gas you're smelling might be from an exhaust leak.
                              Which results in loss of power.
                              Im suprised nobody has said that yet.

I did:
                              -Sparkplugs
                              -Sparkplug wires
                              -Cap/Rotor
                              -Ignition timing
                              -PCV Valve
                              -Fuel filter
                              -Valve Adjustment
                              -Correct tire pressure...

When it was all said and done i was getting roughly about 27mpg...
                              I dont know about you guys, but thats pretty damn good for me...

Comment

Working...
                              X