Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for mechanics ... black boxes in cars??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for mechanics ... black boxes in cars??

Someone I know is taking drivers ed right now and they told me that the teacher said that car manufacturers have been putting black boxes in cars for ~ 10 years to record everything just like they do in airplanes. I really thought this was bs so that's why I'm asking. I know a few of you on here are actual mechanics so is this true? Is it possible they could be hidden somewhere people couldn't easily find them? I think this is the appropriate forum for this since it's a technical question about my car....

that is bs. What he IS thinking about however is a box that is installed in SOME cars that record speed at moment of impact. They basically only check them in fatal accidents.
    Noobie my ASS.

Comment

Well this was coming from a person who knew nothing about cars so that could be what he instructor said. I didn't even know they had those though.

Comment

The teacher is probably just trieing to scare everybody. Investigators normally find that stuff out buy looking at tire marks and points of impact/damage.

Comment

Nah, I know the guy personally because I went there too and he doesn't bs on stuff like that so he heard it somewhere...

Comment

That's really ***. Do you have any idea which manufacturers are doing it? Is it something that can be easily removed?

Comment

Its part of the air bag system, Now some just record some things when one goes off. LIke speed, If lights were on, any ecu codes at the time.

Comment

Also, on a front impact which sets the airbag off, i have heard im not 100% positive on this but the spedometer sticks at what you were going pre- impact.. along with the computer that monitors that type of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X