No announcement yet.

which oil on h22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The REAL reason synthetic oil makes some higher mileage engines leak, is because of regular dinosaur oil in the first place.

Why?

As you all should know, oil seals dry out and crack over time. As well, dino oil slowly causes a buildup of sludge to form over these seals. When you suddenly switch to synthetic, the synthetic oil is so much better at being a detergent that it actually starts to clean off and dissolve the sludge. This exposes the cracks and therefore the oil leaks out. Additionally, synthetic oil does a much better job at keeping oil seals moist and flexible...but unfortunately it's too late after they've already cracked.

Don't believe me? You must have never opened up an engine that's been run on synthetic oil all its life (or most of it). It's INCREDIBLY clean. I've also made the mistake of switching to full synthetic on an engine that's been using dino oil for the first 175k of its life. BAD BAD idea. It didn't leak a drop before...after that, I was adding a quart every two days.

Oh, and by the way...

Originally posted by sleepin
    dont go with the synthetic, thats not good with our motors
    Nope, sorry

cha-ching

Comment

Oh, and Oil is not just oil.... there are many different types... many different additives... stick with something proven, not with walmart "MOTOR OIL"...

Comment

Originally posted by sj960
        Oh, and Oil is not just oil.... there are many different types... many different additives... stick with something proven, not with walmart "MOTOR OIL"...
        If your going to use regular oil... walmart oil is the cheapest around and if you dont drive the crap out of your car, quiet effictive. I use moblie one in all my performance motors. If I buy a car thats been using dino oil then I go for walmart brand... No sense in paying more for the same stuff. dino oil is... dino oil. whether you get it from walmart or advance auto... Its just an opinion dont take it too seriously.
        Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
        registration is free

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
          The REAL reason synthetic oil makes some higher mileage engines leak, is because of regular dinosaur oil in the first place.

Why?

As you all should know, oil seals dry out and crack over time. As well, dino oil slowly causes a buildup of sludge to form over these seals. When you suddenly switch to synthetic, the synthetic oil is so much better at being a detergent that it actually starts to clean off and dissolve the sludge. This exposes the cracks and therefore the oil leaks out. Additionally, synthetic oil does a much better job at keeping oil seals moist and flexible...but unfortunately it's too late after they've already cracked.

Don't believe me? You must have never opened up an engine that's been run on synthetic oil all its life (or most of it). It's INCREDIBLY clean. I've also made the mistake of switching to full synthetic on an engine that's been using dino oil for the first 175k of its life. BAD BAD idea. It didn't leak a drop before...after that, I was adding a quart every two days.

Oh, and by the way...

Nope, sorry

cha-ching
          I agreee from doing motors alot syn all the way i use royol-purpul

Comment

I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic with a K&N Filter, works great.
            -pax
            Seattle, WA

Comment

DoctorCipher is bang on.
              I've been running Mobil1 5w30 since 125,000 kms on my F22, just filled with Petro Canada Duron XL 0w30. I also use a motor flush every 2 oil changes. No leaks or burning.

1. Synthetic oil itself is just better.
              2. It's all about addatives. Cheap oil lacks high quality additives. Expensive oil tends to have a much better addative package.

Technically you can say the oil is the same, but the overall product is not. Go ahead and buy cheap recycled oil with a shitty addative package (WAL-MART). As usual you get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong, I understand the argument of buying cheap oil and changing it often.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinitrium
                Too thin? Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Synthetic oil is no more 'thin' or 'thick' than a conventional oil. Do some research dude. I recommend www.bobistheoilguy.com

dude.. chill the fuck out.. i didnt mean it in a literal sense obvisly its not thicker or thiner (hence the god damn oil viscocity system) what i ment it that it would stick and adhear better then regular oil and where seals arent as strong you can have leakage and or blowby... its responses like yours that make it so people dont post... im so sick of the " do a search" or "are you stupid" bull shit... i posted to try and give some advice and help out.. not to have your give me shit..

Comment

Don't get your panties up in a bunch! LOL! I didn't mean to come off nasty like that. I just get tired of hearing people say things which may not be totally true. You cannot go wrong using a synthetic oil in any engine that is mechanically sound (IE doesn't leak or burn oil or anti-freeze, emission controls work properly), especially if you have a high performance engine with multiple valves and dual cams. There are some engines that should only ever use synthetic oils, and apparently VW/Audi seems to be recommending synthetic oils in all their new engines.

Comment

well...went w/ castrol syn-tec....gonna use blended from now on...it's like 10-15 cheaper than mobil 1....i am gonna pay someone to change it though, cause i'm really busy all the time still....i'm in sales btw....regional salesman for a carpet store, so i'm on the road a ton....
                    JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

Good choice!!! as long as it saves you money theres nothing wrong with it.

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

registration is free

Comment

You know, I hear the Supertech full synthetic oil is a good oil for a standard 3000-5000 mile OCI (oil change interval). Pair that with a Supertech oil filter, which is also reported to be a quality filter, and you've got yourself a cheap oil change that's also fairly high quality.

Comment

Originally posted by turboh22aakkord
                          HAHA who lied to you? synthetic is gods gift to motors... ive been running it in my jdm swap since i got it and its a night and day difference...

if your lil shop friend doesnt carry it.. go to walmart, buy your 5 quarts of it for $20 and a mobile 1 filter and have him change it for you... orrrr... take the 10 mins to change it yourself. good luck bud
                          Absolutly. Night/Day difference. Mobile1 syntechtic all the way. Running 2,500 HARD miles on this change...and the damned oil still looks almost brand new.

edit:
                          Originally posted by koolkoreanked
                          ??? wtf are you talking about... unless your seals and rings are old, synthetic is the way to go. I have never nor will I ever, until I get my turbo put on, change my oil before 5000 miles. theres no need. But hell thats just my opinion.
                          Check your oil during that 5,000 miles? I know when I did b4 synthetic, it was PITCH black. Are you running full synthetic? If not, I don't think that's a good idea.
                          2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                          JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                          My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Originally posted by TheTempest
                            Absolutly. Night/Day difference. Mobile1 syntechtic all the way. Running 2,500 HARD miles on this change...and the damned oil still looks almost brand new.

edit:

Check your oil during that 5,000 miles? I know when I did b4 synthetic, it was PITCH black. Are you running full synthetic? If not, I don't think that's a good idea.
                            Dude my motor is dead man... To be dead honest I changed the oil once in my cb7 when I got the car in july... Since then I've put over 5k hard ass miles... and when I say hard I mean hard miles... as in on the rev limiter everyday at least 20 times a day... I also hit the governor every morning on the way to work and every night on the way home from work... I dont know how that motor is still running consistent 16 flats. My oil was pitch black along time ago lol...

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

registration is free

Comment

Once the oil is black, it has all short's of CRAP in it and it's not working NEARLY as well as it should, and in our case needs to be. If I were you, I'd just change the oil every 2,000-2,500 miles on regular oil and every 4,000-4,500 on full synth.

But, that's really just my two cents.
                              2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                              JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                              My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

SSDH22Accord: S2K oil filter? Do they use different oil filters? From what I understand all hondas use the same oil filter - correct me if I'm wrong (maybe S2K's & NSX's use slightly different ones?!?!?)[/QUOTE]

it is pretty much the HARD TO FIND " Hamp Filter" it does wonders this is the first switch to the filter and i have no regrets a 9 dollar well spent , just better over all filtration i think or even construction.
                                <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Working...
                                X