Hard to start a cold motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to start a cold motor

When I let my car sit for a day then go out to start it, it would turn over for about 15 seconds before it starts. But if you start the car up and warm it for about 20 mins, then it won't have the starting problem for the rest of the day. If you leave it overnight and try to start it in the morning, then same thing, it's hard to start. The colder it is outside, the harder/longer it takes for the car to start. I'm thinking it's the starter or battery or alt., but I just replaced the battery at the beginning of the year (although it died once). I did recently have a used F22a6 put in by a certified mechanic a few months ago and it's been doing it since but I don't see how it could be the motor (motor has no leaks at all, all seals, timing belt and waterpump was replaced before installing). Help me here guys. I have an automatic, 91 SE to be specific.

Couldn't of been done without you guys

how cold are we talkin?

Formerly 91AccordExR33
    11.68 @ 127mph
    417whp/375wtq
    Sold: 8/2016

Comment

You have the same problem as me! Also, when the car is exposed to the sun for a long period of time, it doesnt start. I replaced the alternater and the battery. Your prabably right, it must be the starter.

Comment

Try a battery blanket or a 1 amp trickle charger. Either one will keep your battery warm so it will deliver more current to your starter and help roll the engine over faster. Also, if you don't mind the small hassle, before you start the car, turn the key to the run position and leave it there til you hear the fuel pump shut off, then turn the key to the off position. Do this 2 or 3 times, it seems to help some cars start in cold mornings. I had a Dodge Spirit that started a lot easier in cold mornings if I did that. Yeah, also make sure the engine is tuned up, and if you can afford it and your engine doesn't leak or burn an excessive amount of oil, try a semi-synthetic or full synthetic 5w30 or 0w30 oil. Lss drag on the starter and battery in cold mornings, plus faster lubrication from a cold start too.

Comment

sounds to me like you don't have a cranking prob, but just a won't fire up after cranked for a bit. like a fuel issue or like mine, fast idle valve was clogged. cleaned it, and now it starts on cold mornings. but hey, what do i know. i'm a newb and don't know 'everything' about every honda engine out there. just experience to guide me. have fun and good luck.
          If you're gonna go, go with a smile!
          Current vehicles: 2006 Pacifica Touring Inferno Red (the Wife's) - 30k
          1993 Accord EX - optima 'red top' battery, magnaflow exhaust, tinted windows - My $500 ride w/ 217k miles
          2004 Suzuki GSXR750 - Racetech sus f/r. Dunlop Qualifiers. clear Puig DB screen. my drug - 7500 miles

Comment

Fast idle valve

where is the fast idle valve located on the h22

Comment

starting problems

yeah i have the same problem each day i go out to start my car it takes forever to start sometimes it will start then cut off. but after i get it started and let it warm up every time after that when i start it it fires right up. i mean it is cranking but it just wont fire up until after like 15-20 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by RidnLow
                yeah i have the same problem each day i go out to start my car it takes forever to start sometimes it will start then cut off. but after i get it started and let it warm up every time after that when i start it it fires right up. i mean it is cranking but it just wont fire up until after like 15-20 seconds
                Yep, just like that. And we're not even really talking all that cold either. It does this in the summer too. It's just harder to start in the winter (takes longer for the car to fire up).

Couldn't of been done without you guys

Comment

sounds like the main fuel relay to me. I've had (3) 90-93 Integras and they all had that problem. The relays had weak solder joints that wore out over time. This is my first CB but I can only imagine that they may have the same batch of relays since they are from the same years.
                  Problem fixed by resoldering the relay or relplacing it.

If anyone wants to try this I can dig up which solder joints to redo or just opening the relay and resolder any joint that is cloudy looking and not shiny.

The relay is located under the drivers side dash. I think its a brown box.

HTH its one possibility.
                  Post count is not = to experience rating

F22B DOHC

Comment

Hmm. I was told all Honda's do this, that they were just cold natured.

Comment

hard to start

well i will replace my main relay and my main fuel relay and see if that works, but where is the fast idle valve located at on a h22a? i want to take that off and clean it out and see if it does anything.

Comment

try under the TB, on my H23 mani its directly under the TB.....should have 2 coolant lines running into it....
                        93 Accord- SOLD
                        94 Civic- F22a1 Swap, current DD

Comment

Originally posted by RidnLow
                          well i will replace my main relay and my main fuel relay and see if that works, but where is the fast idle valve located at on a h22a? i want to take that off and clean it out and see if it does anything.
                          They are one and the same. If ordering at autozone they are called main EFI relays, otherwise the retard you talk to probably won't know. They are 46.99. I priced one last night. That trickle charger idea is pretty good too.

Comment

relay

alrightthanks for the info im going to go get that today and switch them out and see if that fixes the hard start problem

Comment

STICKY: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
                              have you checked your main relay to make sure thats the problem? as a general rule of thumb, most main relays that go bad have consistency issues in warmer weather, not colder - but you do say it happens other times to, so i would check it first since its an easy test...

when you switch the car to on, your CEL comes on for two seconds - you should hear a "click" and very slight hum and a "click" - the clicks are your main relay, starting, and then stopping, your fuel pump as it primes the engine for start (thats the hum or buzz, whatever you wanna call it)

assuming the main relay is working ok, I would say check the FIV next, since its specifically a cold problem -

The FIV is discussed in at LEAST 2 other recent threads of members with the same cold start problem, please search for "fast idle valve" or similar, and i'm sure it will come up providing you with even more insight -

Good luck either way, hope you figure it out
                              Last edited by i'm the girl; 12-17-2005, 01:30 PM.

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

Working...
                              X