Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vibration upon Acceleration. brand new axles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration upon Acceleration. brand new axles!

I just did the "rotor over hub" conversion and also replaced BOTH axles with NEW units (not reman'd) and the slight vibrated that orginally existed is now more pronounced.

I doubled check to make sure the axles were seated properly in the int. shaft and in the tranny and they are, plus my axle nuts are torqued to spec.

Has anyone ever had this similar scenario and found that it was caused by something other than the inner cv joints?

I've "heard" other people say things like bearings, ball joints, motor mounts and diff. bearings but I know that ball joints and tie rods cause other symptoms than just a vibration upon accel.

please help. Thank youl.
    The Gene Pool has no lifeguards.

how are your rotors? new, used? that's what i would check next. my philosphy on this is that hopefully it will eventually fix itself. it's a naive thought but it helps me cope. obviously there is an imbalance somewhere and i depend on time to work itself out LOL. sorry if that didn't help much.

but as far as your setup, i have the same experience after my 5-lug conversion. i replaced my axles, rotors, bearings, balljoints, suspension, and wheels. a combination of those can make it really hard to pin point a problem. another thought is that maybe a balljoint or bushing came loose during replacement of the axles and other parts. with the age of our cars, i am not surprised to see these wear items fail.
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

bad ball joints and tie rod ends cause other problems with different symptoms, besides... they're all good.

I replaced, bearings, hubs, rotors, pads.... ALL NEW.

I do have yet to check the condition of my motor mounts but I do know that they're 215,000 miles old!

I hope it "works itself out" but that usually never happens for me.

Comment

Yeah, we had a '91 Civic that vibrated a bit under acceleration until a motor mount was replaced, however ...

Originally posted by rice_classic
        Has anyone ever had this similar scenario and found that it was caused by something other than the inner cv joints?
        This may be a dumb question but did the new axles come with new CV joints, inner/outer? I didn't read that you eliminated those as culprits unless it's implied?
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
          This may be a dumb question but did the new axles come with new CV joints, inner/outer? I didn't read that you eliminated those as culprits unless it's implied?
          Yes, Both axles are new. New axles, I hope, come with new cv joints.

I think I might try some ES inserts for the front and rear mounts and go from there.

Comment

get an alignment?

hold on to your butts

Comment

Originally posted by hemlockz
              get an alignment?
              Done that but bad alignments don't cause this symptom.
              I still have yet to check the mounts but I was just curious if ANYONE has had this problem and found a solution that wasn't axles.

Comment

Since it only happens under accelleration, I would put my money on the axles. What kind of axles are they? Genuine Honda? I would buy Honda Remanufactured and replace both. I have NEVER had good luck with any axles other than those that come from Honda... Is your car an auto/manual? How is the intermediate shaft if its a manual? Did you use new circlips on the inner CV joints?

Comment

I hope if he got new axles they came with new circlips and spindle nuts..... if not then those are some shitty new axles...

Comment

Originally posted by sj960
                    I hope if he got new axles they came with new circlips and spindle nuts..... if not then those are some shitty new axles...
                    by circlips you mean the ring on the splined shaft that holds the axle in the tranny/int. shaft??

Or is there a circlip I don't know about?

Comment

Yea, that circlip.

Comment

I had the hood open and the car running and shined a flashlight at the rear mount while I free revv'd the engine and it moved WAY too much. I think that mount is done with. The front mount also appeared to have too much motion as well. I think I'm gonna order a set of poly inserts and go with it.

I bet getting to that rear mount isn't the easiest thing in the world huh?

Comment

Working...
                        X