Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed MSD 6AL... impressions *pics*

BACKGROUND

I always thought that I had a nice stock ignition system... everything was good. Then yesterday i saw in the classifieds an MSD 6AL used for 120, and blaster SS coils for 40 in the advertising insert so I thought what the hell, and picked up the 6AL from a toyota dude across town. When I got there this dude had a truck engine all taken apart in his kitchen. lol... and his girlfriend looked pissed. he handed me the MSD, a pile of papers, and an tach adapter! I didnt even use that... anyone needin one? So I bought it and got in my car take off. So I'm sitting in front of dudes house, and car wouldn'tt fire up. This had only happened once or twice before when my ignitior aka icm crapped out... but this time it would have been hilarious if my ignition died seconds after buying a replacement! ...oh well, iit fired up on the thrid try after waiting a minute. So I get home and start installing it..

INSTALL

was a little tricky because the small red wire actually hooks into two different accord wires... so it took a little time looking online for why it wasnt working the first try. Sadly it was a 4 hour job for me between going to the store for an external coil cap and rotor and electrical connectors and heat shrink wrap and making a cold crimps. I was without soldering tools, and all the wires happened to be just 3 or 4 inches short

inst: this is all over the net already, but here is my version (92-93 4th gen honda accord with external coil ignition):

1. thin white msd wire to green wire coming out of the distributor.

2. place two short wires with spade connectors crimped on the end to into the sockets in the pigtail that connects the distributor to the external coil. use the sockets that connect to the black/yellow and thick yellow wires of the connector. The two free ends of the two wires will connect to the thin red wire.

3. and that was the hardest part. see the sticker on the back of your MSD for the rest of the wire connections.

DRIVING EXPERIENCE

well finally she fired right up. Quicker than usual on the start up. And my idle was smoother. I have misfires when I start up cold because of a combination of the delta 272 regrind, poor tuning, and apperently a sub-optimal ignition. With this msd it was having fewer hiccups... really I could notice this immediately. faster startup, and better idle. After driving 60 miles so far, the best way to describe the improvement is throttle response. I no longer dog down after upshifting. There is immediate pickup going into 5th. And one of the coolest features is the soft rev limiter. When I hold down the throttle, I dont go over 6200, which is just a . below redline. Dude only had one resistor for the MSD, and it was 6000RPM. It works for me. It will save my engine from a careless rev, and I will feel a little better about letting friends drive it. There is probably still power up there, i know there is because I have definetly gone up to 7200 in a race and it's the only way i beat H22 preludes or 6th gens
    Last edited by hemlockz; 10-24-2005, 09:42 PM.

hold on to your butts

How "timely" http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...t=32873&page=2

Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to keep an eye out for another one.

And so, where's your battery?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

nice install, and a great deal...im interested in picking one up now...

Formerly 91AccordExR33
      11.68 @ 127mph
      417whp/375wtq
      Sold: 8/2016

Comment

I TOLD you guys I wasn't fuckin crazy!

Comment

that is a huge ass filter
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

hemlockz- nice write up

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
            nice install, and a great deal...im interested in picking one up now...
            told ya to pick one up a looooong time ago
            5.6L V8 32V DOHC
            JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

I got a MSD 6a a bit ago and MSD SS blaster coil. I'll get an external dizzy cap soon. Anyways, I'm personally not worried about upshifting over-revving....it's the downshifting over-revving you have to worry about and in that....once you do it, the MSD box can't prevent it from happening...it's all mechanical from that point on....so don't think you can't over-rev your engine (downshifting to wrong gear accidentally). Just a warning....

Good write up though
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                I got a MSD 6a a bit ago and MSD SS blaster coil. I'll get an external dizzy cap soon. Anyways, I'm personally not worried about upshifting over-revving....it's the downshifting over-revving you have to worry about and in that....once you do it, the MSD box can't prevent it from happening...it's all mechanical from that point on....so don't think you can't over-rev your engine (downshifting to wrong gear accidentally). Just a warning....

Good write up though
                Only Cisco can come up with these things. This is why I call him the mad scientist.

Comment

Good write up though
                  This is the sort of thing that I'd most certainly expect someone that installed their own MSD setup to know. Too bad I can't find my captain obvious pic right now...

Comment

...so don't think you can't over-rev your engine (downshifting to wrong gear accidentally). Just a warning....
                    Amen. Now all I need is something to prevent me from shifting straight into reverse while I'm on the highway. Maybe a stickie note would remind me?

Whenever I reach for the radio, I have to hold my arm with the other one from my schizo side wanting to shove the lever to R.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

sounds good will come in handy for lots of people. nice filter i need one that size.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

can i get the rpm module from you???
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

how did you get the coil to work with the stock wire?
                          92 DA9 // 93 D21 4x4 // 92 CB7

Comment

Upgrade your wires I installed a MSD box useing stock wires and burned a hole through a boot
                            Out in the driveway building something

Comment

haha, thanks all! So how high does Cisco rev regularly?

Okay, so my battery is in the trunk. The filter is the biggest K&N cone with 3" inlet that they offered. It flows... and really helped my idle. The only stock ignition wire is the coil -> msd wire. The spark plug wires are 7mm silicone wires. I was able to use the stock wire because the MSD came with a boot. I just had to clip off the connector, strip the outer layer back about 1/2" and then stripped the inner layer about a 1/4" and crimped on the msd boot. It came with the blaster. I don't know if the separate pieces are available. I'm sure your autozone could find something that works.

pm me about the module if you still want it.

hold on to your butts

Comment

Working...
                              X