Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any symptoms of a timing belt going bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any symptoms of a timing belt going bad?

Or is a visual inspection all I can do?

What could happen if the belt is stretched?

Anything at all from your past experience?
    My CB7

wining noise

Comment

The belt do not stretch they just burst. You can check the teeth on them and make sure they are not frayed or look worn.

Comment

Thanks guys, anyone else?
        My CB7

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe
          wining noise
          Does the belt wine or is it a bad water pump that does the wining?

Comment

probly both, i really have no clue, their both bad on my car

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe
              probly both, i really have no clue, their both bad on my car
              lol thats no good.

Comment

Make sure you do not exceed the 90K mile interval too much because there no warning before failing.

Comment

weak timing belt

listen and feel your cb7 upon start up before my F22a4 snapped its belt upon the second to last time she ran the was a weird vibration that I had never felt before, upon the last time it did it again, 15 secs later while shifting to 2nd gear at 25mph she stall in the middle of an intersection in the rain. Take it for me monitor your mileage and do routine maint., and even though they are none interference engines still bent valves cause of the tq. Just my two cents.
                  Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

This is actually for my Civic...

I'll check the belt on Wednesday when I put my headers on (hopefully they come by then)
                    My CB7

Comment

Originally posted by 1991acclude
                      and even though they are none interference engines still bent valves cause of the tq. Just my two cents.
                      Im sorry, but you are wrong. They ARE interferance engines.
                      Seattle Silver crew #5
                      Member of the Midwest Car Club.
                      ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

Nope, there is no warning, no noises, and no good way to inspect it. It isn't like a regular drive belt that you can look for cracks on. A timing belt looks normal, up until the time it snaps. This is the reason why you must replace it based on time and milage...not visual inspections. Every 90K or 6 years.
                        00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
                          Nope, there is no warning, no noises, and no good way to inspect it. It isn't like a regular drive belt that you can look for cracks on. A timing belt looks normal, up until the time it snaps. This is the reason why you must replace it based on time and milage...not visual inspections. Every 90K or 6 years.
                          Yup. That's exactly what I've heard from a number of people.

If the belt brakes, you're out a motor. I'd just do the timing belt if you don't know and have reason to suspect it's comming up.
                          2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                          JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                          My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Originally posted by TheTempest
                            Yup. That's exactly what I've heard from a number of people.

If the belt brakes, you're out a motor. I'd just do the timing belt if you don't know and have reason to suspect it's comming up.
                            Yeah, I guess its a good idea to change it...
                            My CB7

Comment

mrhonda got it dead on.. and actually, youre not necessarily out of a motor if it snaps.. depending on what rpm it snaps at, the damage could be minimal..

Comment

Working...
                              X