Car vibrates only in REVERSE...why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car vibrates only in REVERSE...why?

alright you guys always give me such great advice and you all know what your doin so here it goes...

when i'm reversing and i hold down the brake, the car starts shaking nasty, when i let go of the brake the shaking decreases and when i accelerate in reverse it completly stops. also, the car has a funny iddle when i'm at a stop light.

why do you all think this is happening?

My Grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle.

It sounds like shot motor mounts to me.
    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Hey, is your car auto? If so every auto accord I've driven had a vibration in reverse and from what I hear it's common accross foriegn cars. If it goes away I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As ACCORDianate said, it could also be the mounts. though it's intresting they don't virbate all the time.

Good luck.
      2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
      JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
      My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

yea i could be your motor mounts maybe the rear motor mount

Comment

only in reverse sounds strange....

i had the same exact problem when i was at a stop light in Drive....shook way too much...

i'm having my front motor mount replaced, which was the cause.
          '93 LX Accord Anniversary Auto
          66K Miles (yes, only that much) and no rust!

Comment

Mine shakes in reverse too.......could it be the rear motor mounts?

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

You'll probably be vibrating the most in Reverse, not to mention with the air conditioning on, that's very common for an automatic. Now to alleviate some of that vibration I would replace the rear motor mount. I will self-plug and link you to my write-up on it.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=27485

I did mine a couple months back and it has helped across the board. Still not 100% shake free though, but....that might be asking for too much from my 15 year old car. It's certainly tolerable, at least to me.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
              where you been, is something wrong?
              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

if its auto may be the kick down cable need adjusting or the tranny fuel is low ;

'' we racing or you just blowing smoke ?''

Comment

my has da same exact problem for year..but cant find a way to fix it

MY 1n2 CB7

Comment

Working...
                  X