Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car just clicks, starter issues

Here are the symptoms:

Lights work fine, I think the voltage is in spec (will check tomorrow)
    Car wouldn't start yesterday but it did with a jump
    Car wouldn't start today but it did with a jump
    Car wouldn't start today with a brand new battery

I can't think of what the problem is...the new battery ruled the battery out. My terminals were pretty caked over but nothing crazy, and I cleaned them. What can I use to get them mirror shiny? And what the hell is going on with my car?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

You can use a wirebrush to clean them, or just get new terminals for 2.49 each at autozone, which i highly recommend. Check your starter wire though, it may be loose.

Comment

Try banging on the Starter with a ballpeen Hammer
      whiile somebody is cranking the car.

Hopefully the car will turn on, but hey, atleast you know you need a starter.

Comment

Im having similar problems, car has been fine ever since today, no hesitant start, always cranks right up. today go and star the car, but i just get a clicking noise coming from under the hood, wont turn over. Lights, fan, radio, all work fine. Hmm tomorrow im going to check my battery, try hitting the starter, etc. Any ideas?
        Last edited by starchland; 11-12-2005, 02:53 AM.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Hmm...you said twice it failed to start unless you jumped it. Where did you put the ground alligator clip when jumping it? If you put it someplace other than the negative battery terminal, this tells me you might have ground issues...

Comment

i'd change the terminals first. similar situation happened to me recently where i got stranded, needed a jump to get the car going and realized my positive terminal was cracked and wasn't clamping on firmly on the battery post; therefore, the battery wasn't charging up properly coz of the poor contact even tho the alternator was working fine and constantly running a 13.7-13.9 on the meter.
            5.6L V8 32V DOHC
            JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

UPDATE...I thought I updated this already. Anyways I changed the ground wire to the starter and I swapped both terminals...fires right up all day every day. Remember, our cars are old as Oprah...so if there's a weird problem it's probably due to age. My ground wire was rotten and filled with that cyanish powder...which is to be expected from a 12 year old car.

So yea...if you ever have trouble starting up your CB, go for new battery wires. It's a 20 minute job for the negative...the positive takes a little more work but is still childs' play...and even if you replace ALL the wires with Super Advan JDM 0-gauge Blritzu Titanium God cables, it'll probably still be cheaper and definitely waaaaaay easier than getting a new starter or battery.

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
              X