Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to flush/change powersteering fluid safely

I'm plan to change powersteer fluid completly
    how to change powersteering fluid safely?

I read the hayyes book, just hesitate if DIY is safe, any additional information/feedback will be good before execute it.

I got 3 litre original honda-powersteering fluid

rgds,
    Tino

they only thing that you have to worry about is air bubbles. opinions vary on methods of draining fluid. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Ic ...
      which one the hose at reservoiir I should unplug to drain out the fluid? the top or bottom ? (not clear in the manual picture)
      Should i warm up the car first to reach idle to prevant high rotatation of pump ?

Comment

the way i used was using the turkey baster, seemed the easiest and cleanest, air bubbles arent really a problem, they work themeselves out of the system quite easily.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

i did this...the first time i fuked up cuase i let the pump run low and got air in.

basically the best way is to get a turkey baster to suck up fluid, and then fill it up and let it run...turn it left and right...do this about 20 times then you will be set.

before what i did was get the return line into a bucket and let it run, it went hella slow but then i got air or something in and ruptured a seal in the pump heheh.

USE HONDA FLUID IN POWER STEERING UNITS!!!

before you start i say take the car around the neighborhood...get that fluid warm and stuff.
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

So? if i use turkey baster to soack the fluid & re-fill with new fluid, the old fluid which still remain inside hoses and pump will mixed with the new one.
            I need to purge completely the old fluid...

Comment

It's like with a transmission. No need to get it all out, just get most of it out and add new fluid. Is your power steering giving you problems? If not then just replace most of it, and then later on, you can do it again. It'll be just like if you flushed and refilled the whole system.

Comment

yea...i guess that's the safest way , & I will drain the reservoir, fill, run some mile & drain it again.
                I buy my '91-auto 1 half years ago, & i don't know if the previous owner re-fill the fluid with Hondas-fluid or not.
                I just want to make sure by replace the fluid, before something bad happend.

thanks ...
                Tino

Comment

lol you guys are all wrong. you should replace the fluid at some point in your cars life.. but having air in the system won't hurt anything.

the way you completely flush the system is by unhooking the return line that goes to the resevoir. put some rags down there and get a half-gallon jug or something about that size. empty the resevoir into it, then stick the return line in the jug to collect the fluid. have an assistant start the car. the fluid will quickly drain from the entire system into the jug. turn the wheel from lock to lock until the steering gets difficult and no more fluid comes out. turn the car off and re-hook the hose. fill the resevoir. Turn the car on again, and turn the wheel from lock to lock again until all the air escapes and the steering sounds/feels normal.. Keep the resevoir topped off, and you're done. takes about 10 minutes, and its the official procedure from the honda SM...

Comment

i did that, got air in the system, it made growning sounds after i did that...then i blew a gasket in the power steering pump.

i turned the wheel left to right so i wont do that any more...
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

STOP the stop to stop

The power steering is bled by turning the wheels side to side, but don't turn stop to stop.
                      It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

Working...
                      X