7th alternator... WTF!?!!?!?!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7th alternator... WTF!?!!?!?!!!!

well i just picked up my 7th alternator today. i keep breaking them for some reason. on average theyll work for 6 months, sometimes shorter... once i killed one in 2 weeks. 5 of them have been from kragens. and i know theyre junk, but i get free replacements for life.

the most recent one thats going bad was an oem alternator from a prelude. is it possible to out-rev the alternator. im getting kragen replacements made for an accord, stock redline 6250. and even the prelude one has a redline of 7200ish. can be constantly revving to 8k just wear out the alternator?

they tested the one on my car right now and its putting out 12v. so its weak but not dead. i can tell it was going bad... when im driving and rev into vtec, the battery light would flicker.

so whats the deal guys...

My guess would be your stereo, but maybe your getting water in it somehow because that would definitly kill it, are your belts overtightened? That can also put alot of strain on the alternator.
    My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

what is your voltage at idle?

how is your battery connections?..grounds?

id go with a differnt brand, tell them to give your money back and hit up something else.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

do you have underdrive pulleys? try a brand new one from the dealership. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

stereo is very simple. 2 small amps and a single 10". with the alt i just took out voltage was around 12v. whenever i put a new alt in, it always puts out 14.x like it should. but over time it just stops working.

anyways, i put a new alternator in today. car pulls better now since im apparently getting the power i need. but one problem. when i turn the key to the "on" position, all the lights turn on except for the battery light.

this has never happened before...

Comment

Have you tried a Honda Remanufactured alternator? I've bought two and never had a problem after 3 years on my Accords. My SE came with an AutoCrap and it was actin a fool at idle. The voltage regulator was jacked up bad so I replaced it with the Honda re-man and its just like new. They offer them for the Prelude engine as well. slhondaparts.com has them pretty cheap.

Comment

If you bump your system a lot, or just listen to it real loud constantly, itd be a good idea to get a capacitor if you dont have one already. But how are your grounds?
              To-Do List for Today
              Be Awesome

Comment

grounds are good.

does anyone know what the 4wires on the alt harness represent? does one of them have anything to do with the battery light not working?

car runs fine, so i guess the alternator works, but if it goes bad again, and the battery light doesnt work... im fucked.

Comment

Yeah your fucked pretty much why not just get a remanufactured one instead of the one your using now. Lifetime warrantee is good but why keep changing them either they are weak as shit or you need to just bump it down with the accessories in the car. I rev out all day with a helluva lot more power than you with a remanufactured altenator and dont have any problems with mine. Get that fixed ASAP

Comment

Yeah your fucked pretty much why not just get a remanufactured one instead of the one your using now. Lifetime warrantee is good but why keep changing them either they are weak as shit or you need to just bump it down with the accessories in the car. I rev out all day with a helluva lot more power than you with a remanufactured altenator and dont have any problems with mine. Get that fixed ASAP

Comment

How old is your battery?
                      1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
                      2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
                      3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
                      4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
                      5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

deff. get a capacitor, will help a lot. My body installs stereos, always uses a capacitor and hever has any problems with battery or alternator

Comment

Working...
                        X