cooling fan after you shut down car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cooling fan after you shut down car

i dont know what the name of the fan is..well anyways here goes..
    my aunt drives down with her 5 speed 93 ex in mauve....
    i have the same car...but an automatic.....
    so anways..i got test drive her car...and when i turn hers off...her cooling fan stays on.....my aunt was telling me that honda has some recalls for the 93 and to go to the dealership...my question is do your fans activate when you turn the car off/// my car has never done this since i have had it...like i said i have a 93 honda accord ex ...auto...was this an extra feature..or is something wrong with my car...thanks team11111

my cars fan doesnt kick on after i shut it off...

Comment

depends on if the car actually gets to a certain temp. but mine does turn on when the car is sitting and trying to cool down.

Comment

Mine comes on as well. I've had people tell me at work that my car is running. I pull the key out of my pocket, show them, and tell them that its the fan.
        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Its normal for the cooling fans to turn on after the car is off. Remember they are electric cooling fans which turn on at the specified engine coolant temp. They only should be on a couple minutes while the car cools off. Also, keep your hands clear out of the fan blades when you pop the hood just after the car is turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by fac90
            Its normal for the cooling fans to turn on after the car is off. Remember they are electric cooling fans which turn on at the specified engine coolant temp. They only should be on a couple minutes while the car cools off. Also, keep your hands clear out of the fan blades when you pop the hood just after the car is turned off.
            i know its normal..but why doesnt mine ever cut on??? and my aunts does???..was this an optional feature with the accords???

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
              i know its normal..but why doesnt mine ever cut on??? and my aunts does???..was this an optional feature with the accords???
              did you go and check the plug to the fan?

Comment

Originally posted by clarksterdotcom
                did you go and check the plug to the fan?
                ill check tw..during lunch break.

Comment

I spent a little time researching this recently, as I replaced the cooling fan (aka radiator fan, passenger-side) and the condenser fan (driver's side).

Each fan has its own circuit, complete with their own temp switches (they turn on at different temps), their own relay etc.

However, the fans do not operate all on their own, controlled just by the temp sensors. There is also a fan timer, sort of an ECU for the fans. When the car is off and it's hot enough to run the main cooling fan, the fan timer is what turns off the fan, not the temp sensor cooling down.

I'm like 95% sure that's how they operate.

The main cooling fan is the "radiator fan" (I hate calling it that since both fans are on the radiator, but that's what it's referred to by all the auto parts stores ...). This is also the fan that comes on when the car shuts down if it's hot enough.

The smaller fan on the driver's side (aka A/C fan or condenser fan) should only come on if the temp gets REALLY hot (its sensor is set higher than the main fan).

But of course, they both should automatically come on whenever the A/C is on.

Just wanted to give you some idea of what to expect if you think your system might not be working correctly. I'm sure there are other threads that can help w/ diagnosis if you find out something is really wrong.
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

If your fan always goes on after you shut it off after taking a run, check out your coolant system in general. I feel something may be up. From my experience, when this happens alot, check the condition of your radiator (if everything else is in check). You're radiator may be deteriorated and need a new one. Sooner or later, your car (or hers) will start to overheat if this is the case. Pop the hood, shine a flashlight behind the fans and look at the radiator core (top, middle, bottom) and if you see deterioration, replace it. I have found that when 1/2 the core or more is gone, it starts to get hotter than normal or overheat. We just had our 93 Accord LX with about 1/4 of the core deteriorated and it didn't overheat, I replaced it as preventative maintenance.
                    Last edited by HondaFan81; 09-25-2005, 09:55 PM.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

are we all this dumb!

im in a bad mood as you can tell!

it is perfectly normal for the fans to stay on or come on after the car is off..little does most people know is that there is a little unit under the driver side dash called the fan timer unit. if your fans dont come on or they stay on too long then its most likely shot.. replace it or it proabaly fine.

heres and ebay link for picture so you know what it look like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93...spagenameZWDVW
                      Last edited by xfactortype1; 09-26-2005, 04:08 AM.

Comment

hmm, interesting. yeah i thought it was weird hearing the fan run after i shut the car off. but adding to that, it would run intermittently off an on... well, i replaced my radiator last week (cause it was cracked on top), and now it stays on consistently for a few mins. then goes off and ya never hear it again. must be how they get hondas to last soo darn long. cool em off ASAP after shutdown. coolness.
                        If you're gonna go, go with a smile!
                        Current vehicles: 2006 Pacifica Touring Inferno Red (the Wife's) - 30k
                        1993 Accord EX - optima 'red top' battery, magnaflow exhaust, tinted windows - My $500 ride w/ 217k miles
                        2004 Suzuki GSXR750 - Racetech sus f/r. Dunlop Qualifiers. clear Puig DB screen. my drug - 7500 miles

Comment

Do you have the Denso or Toyo radiator? Just curious.

Is your temp. gauge below half way, but still normal and your fans turn on normally ? Then you have no problem. I bet the fans will turn on just after the car is off when you go for a long drive.

Comment

that was one of the first things I noticed on my blue accord. right after I got it running, i took it for a drive, and as soon as i shut it off like ~20 seconds the fans kick on... run for a bit, then shut off... i just figured it was one of the cars "quirks" as all of my cars (and i'm willing to bet most peoples) cars have them.
                            Seattle Silver crew #5
                            Member of the Midwest Car Club.
                            ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

I've noticed that the fans turn on more frequently on 90-91 Accords rather than 92-93. Interestingly, the yellow caution label that warns about the fan coming on after the ignition is off disappeared in 1992...

Comment

Working...
                              X