Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wierd Sound coming from engine at idle

my.spacebar.aint.workin.so.bear.with.me

a.few.days.ago.i.starting.hearing.this.loud.knocki ng-like.noise.coming.from.under.the.hood.....when.im. under.the.hood.its.not.that.loud,.but.in.the.cabin .its.pretty.loud....

this.ONLY.happens.after.the.engine.is.warm,and.the .tranny.is.in.park.at.idle.around.800rpm.....if.i. rev.it.up,in.park,sound.goes.away....if.i.put.it.i n.gear,sound.goes.away...it.only.happens,when.the. tranny/is.in.park.and.engine.is.idling.at.around.800rpms

it.is.like.a.fast.tapping.or.knocking-like.noise...sort.of.like.something.is.in.the.way. of.the.belts.and.the.belts.are.hitting.it...

under.the.hood.it.sounds.as.if.it.is.coming.from.t he.valve.cover.area....possibly.inside.the.engine. ....

what.can.it.be???

i.have.enuff.oil...engine.runs.fine.......changed. oil.around.200miles.ago...
    no.known.or.significant.leaks

also.i.get.sort.of.a.whine.from.the.belts.after.i. rev.the.engine.and.while.the.rpms.drop.back.down,t here.is.a.whine....SOMETIMES,i.get.it.at.idle.too
    what.can.that.be???

BTW,i.got.a.90EX.with.a.autozone.short.ram.intake
    Last edited by ProblemChild211; 09-03-2005, 12:29 PM. Reason: had.to.edit

When was the last time your valves were adjusted?
    ~~~~~~~

Comment

Sounds like the valves to me. Sometimes if they are way out of adjustment, or resonate/echo in the head just right, they can even sound a bit like piston slap/ rod knock. I would say you need a valve adjustment. If you drive really hard, every 15,000 miles is pushing it.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

i.dunno.wen.was.the.last.time.it.was.done....i.jus t.bought.it.off.a.auction.about.5months.ago

but.i.recently.did.a.COMPLETE.tuneup....is.valve.a djustment.included??

how.much.do.these.cost??.....how.much.damage.can.h appen.if.it.stays.along.time.w/o.one??

btw.i.got.199600miles

Comment

A valve adjustment shouldn't cost much more then $60 at a local honda dealer.
          ~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X