Importing RHD cars??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing RHD cars??

Now i know that we cannot drive Japanese vehicles here in the states, especially not California, but im wondering, can i import a RHD CB7 here, put in a American motor, and it will be legal to drive here?? Ive seen a couple RHD civics running around but didnt get a chance to ask them how they did it. Any info?

Bronze

why would you need a usdm motor? we have jdm motors in our accords? think before you post, there for you know wtf you are posting.

and Yes you can drive RHD cars in the states, there is just a bunch of mombojumbo you need to go through...
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
      why would you need a usdm motor? we have jdm motors in our accords? think before you post, there for you know wtf you are posting.

and Yes you can drive RHD cars in the states, there is just a bunch of mombojumbo you need to go through...
      Ok hold on slick, don't talk to me like that, all you had to do was correct me. The reason why i was asking a question was because i didn't know. Here in California, a lot of smog referee's won't pass your car if it has a JDM motor if im not mistaken. Bite me

Comment

In order for it to get past customs, such things as the bumper supports and windshield must be replaced with those that meet USDM standards. These are just ome of the steps that MotoRex must take to legally import and register the Skylines into the U.S.......and the price tag often reflects their efforts if you catch my drift. Although USDM CB7 parts are easier to find than USDM Skyline parts as they are non-exsstant (R32-R34).

This is something i have always wanted to do and was extremely close to doing it, as i had lots of contact with a vehicle exporter out of Okinawa, but after reading just about the entire US Customs web site i thought i would wait a while before taking on this challenge.

On another note, there is kinda a loophole i stumbled upon..... if they are imported to Canada, there is slightly less leg work than if imported to US. Keep your eyes posted on ebay, you never know what you might find
        http--www.teckademics.com-media-tst_steirle.jpg

Comment

OR you could just import them as offroad vehicles..

pretty much you need to import like 4-5 of whatever you want, one for front crash test, one for side crash test, one for them to take a part and inspect and one just incase they fuck up.. thats alot of money to legalize something that can be obtained by a swap.

and i can talk to who ever i want how ever i want. there is a big long 10page discussion about this. search.

Comment

Originally posted by HighRevs22
            In order for it to get past customs, such things as the bumper supports and windshield must be replaced with those that meet USDM standards. These are just ome of the steps that MotoRex must take to legally import and register the Skylines into the U.S.......and the price tag often reflects their efforts if you catch my drift. Although USDM CB7 parts are easier to find than USDM Skyline parts as they are non-exsstant (R32-R34).

This is something i have always wanted to do and was extremely close to doing it, as i had lots of contact with a vehicle exporter out of Okinawa, but after reading just about the entire US Customs web site i thought i would wait a while before taking on this challenge.

On another note, there is kinda a loophole i stumbled upon..... if they are imported to Canada, there is slightly less leg work than if imported to US. Keep your eyes posted on ebay, you never know what you might find
            I see I see, but one thing you said confuses me, if the car isn't even here in the states, how could one, replace those parts that require "upgrading" to USDM. LMore specifically, how can i change the front windshield, if i don't even have the car yet here in the states??

So basically what your are saying is, if i could somehow get the car imported to Canada, i might be able to just drive it over and avoid some of the U.S Bullcrap...hmmm not a bad idea. Ill look into it more. Because from what ive seen, JDM CB7's are like 1000-1500 US dollars, not a bad price at all.

Bronze

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
              OR you could just import them as offroad vehicles..

pretty much you need to import like 4-5 of whatever you want, one for front crash test, one for side crash test, one for them to take a part and inspect and one just incase they fuck up.. thats alot of money to legalize something that can be obtained by a swap.

and i can talk to who ever i want how ever i want. there is a big long 10page discussion about this. search.
              How can i "swap" in a RHD?? If i can't even get the thing over here in the first place?

Your like a child. Grow up....you sound like one of those brats, "Your not the boss of me!!".

Comment

question's been asked before:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=importing

add to that, this doesn't fit the criteria for the technical section!

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by BronzeAccord
                  How can i "swap" in a RHD?? If i can't even get the thing over here in the first place?

you could get your hands on a front cut from a JDM RHD CB7 and have a funtime of converting a USDM LHD accord to RHD!..

Comment

^ exactly, im far from childish. its called DRUNK!

There is plenty of ways to get parts over here, its WHOLE CARS that are hard to legalize, its a sench to get a car that is cut inhalf into the states. i had one imported.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
                      question's been asked before:

add to that, this doesn't fit the criteria for the technical section!
                      Ok, i didnt know what other section to put it in, nothing else really seemed to match to me. Apologize for that. Thank you for the links.

Comment

you might want to do some more brain excercises, not a personal attack.. just trying to slap some common sense into you. when you want to import a car here and you need it to adhere to DOT and NHTSA safety standards you dont convert it while its still in japan, the process is completed while the car is sitting here in the US. anyone can throw a car on a boat and bring it over here but there are a few legal documents they must show if they want anything to get past customs to potentially have that car legalized.

the canada loophole prolly wont fly if you still want to bring it into california just because a lot of the local DMVs know what you are doing with a RHD car, if you were to import it to canada and then bring it down into say north dakota you might have better luck. then again you will need to have the car legalized in canada or bring the car in on a flatbed from the snowy north.

also many people will completely strip down a chassis and ship the car via tanker ship with just a bare chassis to have it passed through customs easily. i cant remember if they then rebuild the car classified as a kit car or something but seems like too much wrench time to me.

but im sure if you actually do some more research in the right places then you will get some idea of the easy task of importation and legalization, it just takes time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by HighRevs22

DUDE your alive? Are you still in Gloucster or what?

I too have always wanted to import a JDM cb7 here to the United States, but due to the strict DOT and NHTSA regulations...I could buy a newer used car for the price of importing a CB7.

It maybe 1,200 in Japan but it does add up hardcore. In some cases it would be cool to own an authentic JDM Accord but in some cases, the car would get jacked so fast you wouldnt even know it.
                          Henry R
                          Koni/Neuspeed
                          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Working...
                          X