Gude Head Packages for H22...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gude Head Packages for H22...

Anyone know anything about Gude? I've read good things, but mainly in car magazines (and I know they have to keep the sponsors happy...)
    They claim that a full Gude head package (Ported and Polished Cylinder Head, Racing Valve Grind, Ported Intake Manifold,
    Ported Throttle Body and Camshafts) will add about 58hp to the wheels. Now, for under $2000, that's half the price of the turbo setup I was considering! I was only planning to boost for an additional 50hp or so on stock internals anyway...

So... any info would be appreciated! Anything concerning reliability, legality (I still wanna drive it on the street), pricing, power gains for a JDM H22, alternative products, effects on gas mileage, etc...

Man, that is fast! I saw him on Honda-Acura.net. I'll have to contact him...

If I ordered a Gude setup, I'd probably do it through a reputable reseller. That way, I won't be dealing directly with the company. I can tell by their site (which has been under construction for a long time) that they don't seem to be very motivated.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best move within a limited budget. I was planning a junkyard turbo setup, running about 5-6 psi on stock internals... That seemed like a fairly unreliable way to do it though.

Comment

Nah, for some reason, I've never liked nitrous. It always seemed like cheating to me. It took me long enough to respect turbo!
      I don't like the idea of having to refill the bottle, or hit a button when I want power. I'd rather have the power come from something mechanical. rather than chemical... Maybe I'll use it later on, once I boost (to help spool the turbo maybe) but I don't want to rely on n2o for power.

I'm hoping to do some fairly cheap mods (qualtiy, but as cheap as possible) that would work well enough with turbo down the road.

Comment

Cool. Thanks fizzbob! I guess you're the guy I should be talking to about boosting an H22, since it seems you're already a few steps ahead of me!

Now, the guys on HHU talked me out of getting a used turbo. They said I was only asking for problems... My original turbo plan was to get a used Mitsubishi turbo from a junk yard (I'm sure I can find a busted DSM easily enough). And hopefully the intercooler as well (the small stock intercoolers on those cars should require little modification to get it into my car) and I've seen manifolds on ebay for very little money.
        What threw me was all the other mods needed to make it work right. Injectors, fuel pump, and other stuff that I forget at the moment...

Are you going with a brand new setup, or are you planning on using a rebuilt used turbo? Since you're apparently looking into the same thing as I am, how much do you think I could build a fairly reliable, low-boost system for? Previous estimates have been between $3500 and $7000... too much for me.

Comment

Re: Re: Gude Head Packages for H22...

Originally posted by fizzbob7
          Scott Byars of Collective Racing...........13.2 1/4mile in full interior, 2900lb 4 door accord with an all motor h22a......no nitrous or boost.....that's fast
          actually when it ran the 13.2, it was partially gutted. more like 2600lbs.
          '91ex coupe, modified.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0JsF__KzA

@ConaireSmith on twitter

Comment

not trying to sound like an a$$ but 300 lbs dosnt sound like partially gutted, thats alot of weight.

Comment

maybe that's in comparison to his....kentucky accord has his gutted which is down to 2100 i believe....so in that comparison, that would make sense.....
              LOL! you are correct sir!
              '91ex coupe, modified.

@ConaireSmith on twitter

Comment

Hey Kentucky! Funny seein you on here too! So hows life been treatin you since the last time we chatted? I think since the last time we spoke, I lost my job, my computer blew up, and got a few Illegal exhaust warnings. On the plus side, I'm starting my own shop working on cars now that I no longer have to go to work. I just bought a whole buch of awesome computer parts so in a week or so I'm gonan have a top of the line PC, and I have more initiative to work on my daily driver. Hit me up and let me know how things are going!

My Accord History:
                91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

everything is cool here. i havent touched my car in a long time, i havent even started it in probably 3 months. i have a few plans for it though and i need to get on the ball before the season is up.

sorry to hear about your job, working for yourself is better anyway. good luck w/ the shop.
                  '91ex coupe, modified.

@ConaireSmith on twitter

Comment

Thanks for sending good luck my way! I'd like to hear more about your plans whenever you get a chance. There's not too much more you can remove from your car, so I'm curious about what you plan to add and/or tweak on your setup. Keep me in mind for parts if you need any cause I have TONS of Accord parts laying around waiting to be sold!

My Accord History:
                    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

back to the question at hand......

all my experiences at our shop w/ gude sucked. i'd rather deal w/ the guys over at skunk maybe cuz they're just up the hill from my girlfriend's place lol. but they're really good to us when we have some quesitons and stuff about different applications. and if you plan on boosting later, i think they're developing turbo cams for the h22 as we speak

(but i'd rather build a fast NA h22 than a boosted one...but that's my feelings)
                      My reality is greater than the sum of its parts...

Comment

Thanks! (for the info, and for getting the post back on track!)

I'm leaning away from Gude now, since I only seem to hear bad things. Since I started asking about them, I've only come across one person who had a Gude product that they liked, and it was just a cam... not a complete head package as I was thinking about getting. Skunk2 does seem like a good option, since I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. Of course, I haven't done much research on them either!

Would it possibly be cheaper and/or better to just have my stock head worked, and maybe go with some stage 2 cams or something? I'm still trying to work this whole thing out in my head. I've decided that I definitely want to go turbo though.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevergote
                          Thanks! (for the info, and for getting the post back on track!)

I'm leaning away from Gude now, since I only seem to hear bad things. Since I started asking about them, I've only come across one person who had a Gude product that they liked, and it was just a cam... not a complete head package as I was thinking about getting. Skunk2 does seem like a good option, since I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. Of course, I haven't done much research on them either!

Would it possibly be cheaper and/or better to just have my stock head worked, and maybe go with some stage 2 cams or something? I'm still trying to work this whole thing out in my head. I've decided that I definitely want to go turbo though.
                          if you really want to boost, i wouldn't get the stage2 cams. those are meant to be for NA applications and the valve overlap is much longer than what turbos like. if you want to build the motor right, get the turbo cams and don't get anything that will contribute to NA tuning since you'll be tuning for boost. lower compression pistons, thicker headgasket (don't get spoon or mugen racing gaskets since those are made to raise compression not lower it), etc etc. remember, modifying for turbo is a totally different direction than going naturally aspirated

Comment

Cool, thanks again! I don't know why I said stage 2 cams... I typed that quickly, and I guess I wasn't thinking. I know about needing lower compression for boost. However, what I don't know is how valve overlap works into it (so I guess my mistake brought something good, anyway!) Do I want as little overlap as possible for turbo?

Comment

little overlap is good for turbo......the skunk2 stage 2 cams have a lot of it......not good for turbo.....most people make a turbo cam.....maybe 2, but you really just want to dump the air in as efficiently as possible, so specialty grinds aren't as needed as on n/a setups......the turbo is the power maker there, while the cams make the power on a good n/a setup.....
                              couldn't have put it better myself

Comment

Working...
                              X