Back brake piston bent my vice...questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back brake piston bent my vice...questions

How do I clamp that shizzle down? Should I just take it to get my pads replaced?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Actually the rear brake caliper is different from the front caliper. Instead of clamping the unit, it has an (X) or (+) shape carved into it. You have to rotate it clockwise to retract the piston into the bore. If you use needle-nose pliers it should be an easy job. And the (X) shape in the piston has to line up with the protruding shape on the inner pad when you reinstall it.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
      How do I clamp that shizzle down? Should I just take it to get my pads replaced?
      coule of questions

1. how did you get the piston outa the caliper to take it to a vice?
      2. how cheap was that vice?
      3. wtf is a shizzle? i cant find it in any part book.

Comment

yes we know he is not as clear as we would like with his question but you get the idea. follow SSMAccord's advice. it's exactly what you should do.

advice: if it's been a while since you retracted the piston, it will be really hard to turn initially but it will get easier as you turn. remember turn it clockwise while pushing in.
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Thanks, I'm gonna try that today. And sorry if I was unclear, I thought I was...thanks again though.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

may i suggest a haynes manual, $16. later.
            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I have Haynes...from what I know they made no mention of turning the piston; in fact it just said 'look at how to do the front, its the same'. later.

Comment

pages 9-5 and 9-6, section 4:disc brake pads (rear) replacement, 4.11 narrows down your qeustion. there is also a pic at the bottom left hand corner. later.
                Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Nobody has mentioned this... If he's clamped the rear caliper in a vice to the point that it bent the clamps, hasn't he probably ruined the caliper??? Granted, it is designed to clamp down fairly hard, but once he goes to use his parking brake, it will prolly be messed up.
                  Last edited by xaxis360; 08-04-2005, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Nope, it's prob. the twisting thing; the piston wasn't pushed in at all...i.e. I had to put the old pads back, as the new ones wouldn't fit. From what I know all the piston is is a metal cylinder surrounded by brake fluid...I don't see how I could ruin it. The brakes work fine now; they just need new pads...

Comment

Working...
                    X