shifting automatic hazardous to tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shifting automatic hazardous to tranny?

i guess this thread is supposed to be here ....

OK OK..i used to have a 96 mitsubishi mirage ... hehe it was ok for my first car...well i burned out the transmission from shifting it to much.....so for 4 years while i was in the army i never shifted an automatic again....until now.......
    I know the auto has 4 gears and you can shift ......my question is this procedure safe?? I shift up right before i hit redline you know right when the CAI starts screaming... ive had my cb7 for about 1 year..will i screw my transmission if i keep manually shifting my automatic....my race car driver buddy told me it would be ok..as long as i dont redline all the time....is this correct.....
    sorry if a thread has covered this .... to lazy to search

sorry i did a search

sorry i did a search and see that people are saying this is a dangerous thing...but how else can i move my automatic.......i still havent had any problems with my tranny and ive been manually shifting my automatic for like 4 or 5 months now........................ maybe when i got to this orlando meet ill find out the hard way...hahaha...well see!!

Comment

yo you go to orlando meeting????
      Accord Of The Month January 09
      Accord Of The Year 09

My 2 Babys
      BMW TECH FOR 15 YEARS

Comment

Why don't you let the TCU do its job and shift the transmission for you. And neutral dropping is a no no also.

Comment

Dont shift the auto tranny too much while driving. Its meant to shift down for increased braking effort.

Comment

yup just ask the previous owner of my car
            FA1

Comment

i dont get why people shift auto's, the car knows how to shift better than you
              People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
              The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Ha ha that is funny. However, you can shift your car like a manual. I did it for 2-3 years and it was fine. But after a while it doesn't shift so smooth(the automatic). But if thats what you want to do then DO IT. I know its more fun to drive like that but just convert it to manual. HAPPY Auto Shifting.

Comment

in my opinion just shift whenever u need to... like downshifting to accelerate faster etc.
                  are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

there's really no need to SHIFT THE AUTO manually. it is bad period..

the only time ever is when weather, hill or situations arise for you to throw it in lower gears so it assists w/ engine braking..

take care the tranny..
                    hahahahah

Comment

all the owners of autos know that shifting sucks if you let the TCU do it.... i know im gonna get a prelude tranny eventually..just wondering what the best year tranny to get...if i would have known about manual shifting the auto..i would have won a lot of races prior..i originally bought my car as a pimp mobile..

Comment

Working...
                      X