Oil Psi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Psi

My engine oil light had been blinking while drive a while back and then stoped and now started agian. So i bought a cheap oil psi gauge from autozone and intalled it. When i turned on my car it was reading 80 psi that was a cold start. Then i let it warm up and it went down to 40 and then finially down to 20. But when i would rev it, at about 2-3,000 rpm it would be at about 80 psi. and the more i rev it would kinda stay up the same until about 4-5,000 rpm it would go to 85 psi and then jump back down to 75 psi and i didnt even let of the gas. COuld it be the gauge thats not reading right or could that really be my oil psi. If so why could it be so high??

not sure

Comment

Well at operating temperature minimum oil pressure at idle is 10psi and at 3500 rpm's is 50 psi.

Where are you connecting your pressure guage at? It's also possible your gauge is not exactly accurate. For example I've seen those cheap autoparts stores compression gauges be off more then 30psi when compared to my calibrated Snap-On guage.
      My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Yeah its a cheap out parts one but after driving around for a while it is now giving right psi. I now have 10 psi stoped and 50 at 3,000. It just has to ben run for a while to read right but soon i will replace it with some thing better like autometer or something.

Comment

Originally posted by accordingly2004
          Yeah its a cheap out parts one but after driving around for a while it is now giving right psi. I now have 10 psi stoped and 50 at 3,000. It just has to ben run for a while to read right but soon i will replace it with some thing better like autometer or something.
          i think thats about right...after 50psi the filter goes into full flow mode with the bypass open...

my haynes book has the specs...i think your is fine...how did u hook it up....
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I just bought some brass fitting's and a T brass fitting with gauge on one side and oil pressure sending unit on the other. But after drving around for a while it does read it right. But i did notice while driving around for a while it would go down. I was at 3,000rpm and like at 45 psi. Just 5 psi below 50 which is what it should be. Is that a big problem?

Comment

can u give me details on exactly how u installed it, i just brought a air/fuel and oil pressure gauge.
              i kno how to hook the fuel gauge
              but the oil gauge, dont kno.
              what wxact do i do to install it?
              thanks

all i have on the back of it are 2 wires for power and ground, and thats for the bulb to come on.
              and theres a thing on the back for something to screw on to, i have direction and plan to read it but i rather get instruction from someone who's done it and also has the same car, thanks.
              NEED RAP BEATS.....

www.soundclick.com/akcidentaltrakz

Comment

Originally posted by accordingly2004
                I just bought some brass fitting's and a T brass fitting with gauge on one side and oil pressure sending unit on the other. But after drving around for a while it does read it right. But i did notice while driving around for a while it would go down. I was at 3,000rpm and like at 45 psi. Just 5 psi below 50 which is what it should be. Is that a big problem?
                Try to get a handheld pressure guage like a Snap-On gauge that mechanics use. Use that to determine your oil pressure. The specs I gave you are the MINIMUMS! Meaning if yo uare bellow them you need to replace your oil pump and/or inspect your seals to make sure pressure isn't bleeding off threw there.
                My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Working...
                X