how do you tell if your rad is gone or on its way out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you tell if your rad is gone or on its way out

my temp guage is going up and up often now and i know i needed to change coolent but i think my rad is in rough shape

what are some indicators that i might wanna look for before i replace it.

when it pops and radiator fluid goes everywhere. nah, just look for leaks. it problaly is not clogged. if it holds fluid its good. mite be the coolant temp sensor. if you r going to replace it, try the koyo aluminium. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

if the car actual overheating and rad. looks clean
      prob. i would say thermostat is bad most likely-common. mine would overheat after i got off the freeway and was ideling. go to HONDA dealer-no after market ones tend to fail more ovten
      and the cap could cause it if its not holding presh.

91 ex 1badwag
      91 lx wag (aka the beater)
      92 ex 4-door
      HONDA...its not just a way of life...its an ADDICTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

id backwash the radiator first to get all the crap out of it, crap inside of it can kill efficiency.

radiator would be my last bet...first id check the thermostat and then the coolant temp sensors.

thermostats usually dont last very long. but are easy to replace.

when ur overheating, or its heated up, after more than 10 minutes of idling, feel the upper radiator hose...it should be hot...then feel the bottom...it should feel hot as well...if nto then ur thermostat is slow and ready to be replaced.

oh also to help with cooling and efficiency a new radiator cap will help becuase it can sustain the pressure and higher the boiling point.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

the reason i asked , i got the A/C checked to see if it needed to be rechaged and when the mechanic took a look they said the radiator was on its way out and should be replaced.

i half beleve them because i dont normaly trust mechanics so i was wondering things to check on the rad before i go ahead and fix it.

Comment

ok it probably looks beat to shyt then ok..visual inspection.

Comment

Check the back side of the rad near the bottom especially(towards the engine). When mine went there were fins missing and when i pushed lightly on the others they would break off.
              Anything is possible when you don't know what your talking about............

Comment

my tips would be do a complete flush drain/refill, when you do:

inspect thermo (maybe even change it, and ck your cap)
                inspect inside for rust, look at OLD COOLANT for metals, corrosion
                inspect all the tubings

make sure ur fans come on

good luck
                hahahahah

Comment

Working...
                X